Forms for Non-US Citizens

Welcome!  We are delighted for you to join your fellow students from more than 50 countries as part of the international student population here at Barnard and the even-broader community at Columbia and in New York.

The I-20 request form is a dynamic, fillable form, and includes detailed instructions on how to qualify for a Form I-20, enabling you to receive an F-1 student visa for study at Barnard.  You will need to use Adobe Acrobat to download the form.

Please read the instructions linked above very carefully and complete the necessary forms as soon as possible and send it to us by email at the address linked below. Once your I-20 is approved, we will mail it to you via express mail. You will then need to make an appointment with your nearest American embassy or consulate to apply for your F-1 student visa.

Once you read the instructions carefully, you may discover that you need to submit the forms below in addition to the I-20 request form posted above.  The forms below are not fillable online, so you will need to download them, fill them out, scan them, and submit them by email.

F1 Transfer Certification:  Please submit this form ONLY IF you attended another U.S. secondary school or U.S. college/university within the last six months.

Dependent Information:  Please submit this form ONLY IF you plan to bring dependents to live with you.

Sponsor’s Affidavit of Free Room and Board in the New York City Metropolitan Area:  Please submit this form ONLY IF you will be sponsored for free room and board.

Sponsor’s Affidavit of Support:  Please submit this form ONLY IF you have a sponsor supporting you financially.  (Parents and relatives are sponsors, so you will need to submit this form if your parents are the sole financial sponsors of your education.)  Make copies of this form as needed.  Every sponsor must complete an affidavit of support.

Questions and forms must be directed by email to the Office of International and Intercultural Student Programs (OIIS) at