Go to m.barnard.edu for the Mobile Barnard web app or download it from the App Store or Google Play.

Enrolling Students - Fall Term

Enrolling?  What happens next?

Once you reply yes to our enrollment offer, a technical process updates your enrollment from “admitted” to “enrolling” within both the Barnard and Columbia student information systems.  (It’s a little more complicated than flicking a switch, but less complicated than world peace.) 

We start this process after 5/1, or within a week of your reply, whichever comes first, when all enrollment commitments are received. 

And, then what?

In less than two weeks from that time, BCIT will contact you with instructions on how to set up and access our brand new student portal, my.Barnard.edu.  When you receive that notification, you will also be able to set up your gBear and retrieve your UNI.  Let’s define some of that lingo for you:

  • Barnard College Information Technology (BCIT) provides resources and support, mainly through Student Computing Services, including: individual tech support, support for five labs, and disseminating information about technology events and workshops.
  • myBarnard is the Barnard portal which allows access to many internal online resources. Use it for all of your student needs such as loan submission, student services, academic forms and much more.  It’s also where you get student news and important messages.
  • gBear is  your Barnard web-based Google account which provides access to email, contacts, drive and calendar.  gBear accounts are issued by Barnard and accessed via your my.barnard.edu portal.  gBear provides users with roughly 25 gigabytes of storage and includes fast, reliable search and powerful spam protection.
  • Columbia UNI (your initials + a 4-digit #) will be used to access University e-resources, including library journals and e-collections, labs, Courseworks and more. The UNI also represents the beginning of your gBear email.

What can I do now?

There are two very important things you can do.

1)  First, HOUSING!  Our Residential Life and Housing Office is VERY interested in having you apply as soon as possible, so they can get to work on matching and assigning.  Once you authenticate with your Student ID/date of birth OR UNI/password via the form below, you will be directed to the first-year or transfer portal.  Also feel free to contact their office with any questions!  And, please note ALL students need to submit the form below, whether you DO or DO NOT plan to live on campus!

Submit the New Student Housing Response Form.

Transfers/Visiting Students, please note: Although housing is guaranteed for first-year enrolling students, and we hope to accommodate *all* requests for housing, please note that we are unable to *guarantee* on-campus housing for all transfer and visiting students.  Room assignment information for new students is typically available in early August.

2)  Second, call your DOCTOR! Primary Health Care Services has forms that will require signatures.  We thought you might want to get a head start on setting up an appointment with your health care provider.  Barnard does not require incoming students to receive a physical exam.  However, the “Incoming Student Immunization Form” must be completed and signed by a physician, physician’s assistant or nurse practitioner.  And, you will have forms that MUST be submitted in order for you to be able to move in to housing or start classes.

Make an appointment as soon as possible with your health care provider to ensure that you have ample time to complete the forms and if necessary, receive any vaccinations and/or a tuberculosis screening.  All forms and insurance information will be available via the myBarnard.edu portal.  You will gain access to this within the next two weeks!