BC 41 American Woman’s Association Association of business and professional women. The American Woman's Association (AWA) came into being in 1922 succeeding its predecessor organization, the Vacation Association (which was also called the Working Girls Vacation Association), a group that helped working women save money for vacations. The AWA provided social, recreational, and educational activities for its members. It operated a number of clubhouses in Manhattan which provided living quarters for some members. The most renowned of these would later be known as the Henry Hudson Hotel on W. 57th St. This was built and operated by the American Woman's Realty Corporation, an independent subsidiary of the American Woman's Association. In 1942, the AWA sold the Henry Hudson Hotel and leased the Barclay Hotel on E. 48th St. By the 1960's the organization was in decline. In 1974, operating as a foundation, the AWA disposed of its remaining assets.
BC 20.8 Annie Nathan Meyer papers, [ca. 1890-1950] Professional and personal correspondence, manuscripts and typescripts of Meyer's plays, her books "Barnard Beginnings" and "The Gallery-Goer's Book," essays, and other writings, 1920s-1940s; playbills from performances of her plays, clippings of reviews of her books and plays, book jackets, clippings of her magazine articles, and other literary ephemera including the copperplate engraving used to print her personal bookplates. Professional correspondence relates to her work for Barnard and her literary career; Barnard correspondents (1890's-1940's) include Dr. Cornelius Agnew, Rev. Arthur Brooks, Helen Erskine, Pierre Jay, Jacob H. Schiff, Ella Weed, and Barnard Deans Emily James Smith Putnam, Virginia C. Gildersleeve, and Millicent McIntosh. Literary correspondents include Mary Beard and editors, theater managers and others connected with her dramatic and literary works. Personal correspondence is with her family members (1920's-1940's) and includes several folders of letters from her first cousin, Supreme Court Justice Benjamin Cardozo, (1920s-1930s), on personal matters.
BC 15 Barnard Student Scrapbooks It was the custom of students to keep scrapbooks of their activities and experiences during their attendance at the school. Many of these were later donated to Barnard's archives and provide an intimate, personal views of undergraduate life over the years.
BC 13.58 Barnard Women's Center/Center for Research on Women records, 1972-1991: Founded in 1971 as the Barnard Women's Center and renamed ca. 1991 as the Center for Research on Women, this department was one of the first dedicated to Women's Studies in the U.S. The Center sponsors many programs and publications including: "The Scholar and the Feminist" conference which began in 1974, the Helen Rogers Reid Lectureship, beginning around the same time and more recently, the Roslyn Silver Science Lectureship. The Women's Studies department at Barnard which began in 1977 was developed with the participation of the Women's Center.
Overbury Collection Books (in CLIO): A collection of primarily first-edition literary works and letters by American women from the early Colonial days through the 1950s. The Overbury Collection was a gift of Barnard alumna Mrs. Fredrick Overbury (Bertha Steel Van Riper, class of 1896).