Every faculty and staff office on campus is wired for physical connectivity to Barnard’s network. When BCIT installs a computer for you, the technicians will connect it to the network—you shouldn’t need to take any action. If you have a problem with your wired Internet connection, please contact the BCIT Service Desk.
BCIT provides two wireless networks: Barnard Guest (for visitors on campus, including Columbia students and faculty), and Barnard Secure (for members of the Barnard community). Wireless service on both Barnard networks is available in the following locations:
The use of this system is subject to the policies and procedures of Barnard College. These policies can be found at: http://barnard.edu/barnard-computer-use-policy.
Violations of any policy or procedure may result in suspension of network access, disciplinary action, or other serious consequences or penalties. All users are advised that, at any time and without prior notice, system support personnel may monitor any portion of the system for maintenance, unauthorized usage, and other purposes.
Visitors on campus (including Columbia students and faculty) may connect to the Barnard Guest wireless network. The Barnard Guest wireless network does not require a username or password, and it is an unencrypted network; any information sent over it is subject to viewing by unathorized third parties. Please advise your guests to take appropriate security measures when using this network to protect their data and personal information.
To connect to it, select “Barnard Guest” from your device’s list of networks.
Students, faculty, and administrators are encouraged to use the Barnard Secure wireless network, which offers security in sending data and the necessary bandwidth for video streaming and conferencing.
Please follow the steps below for connecting to Barnard Secure:
1. All members of the community must log into eBear to register their account before they can access the secure wireless network. This does not have to be done from the wireless device you want to use on the wireless network. You do not need to do anything within eBear; simply logging in is sufficient.
2. Log into Barnard Secure with your Barnard account username and password (the same information you use to log into eBear and gBear).
(including iOS devices (e.g., iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch), Windows 7, Windows Vista, OS X) – except for Windows XP
Windows: In the "Wireless Network Connection" properties, select Barnard Secure from the "Preferred networks" list and click the "Move up" button until Barnard Secure is the first preferred network in the list.
Mac: In "Network" preferences, click the "Advanced" button and drag "Barnard Secure" into the top position in the "Preferred Networks" list.
You must configure your Windows XP computer as follows:
1. Open the Network Control Panel (Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections).
2. Right-click on “Wireless Network Connection” and select Properties.
3. Click the “Wireless Networks” index tab.
4. Under “Preferred Networks”, if there are any existing Barnard connections listed, click on them and click the “Remove” button.
5. Click the “Add” button under Preferred Networks.
6. In the first tab, “Association”:
* For the Network Name (SSID), type: Barnard Secure
* In the pull-down menu for Network Authentication, select WPA2
7. In the second tab, “Authentication”:
* In the pull-down menu for EAP Type, select: Protected EAP (PEAP)
8. Click the Properties button under EAP Type. In that window:
* Make sure “Validate server certificate” is checked
* Check “Connect to these servers”, and in the box, type: radius.barnard.edu
* In the pull-down menu for Select Authentication Method, select Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)
* Click the Configure button. In the pop-up window, uncheck “Automatically use my Windows logon and password”, and click OK.
9. You are now back in the Protected EAP Properties window. Click OK.
10. You are now back in the Wireless network properties window. Uncheck “Authenticate as computer when computer is available”, and click OK.
11. You are now back in the Wireless Network Connection Properties window. Click OK.
12. Double-click on Wireless Network Connection to see visible networks. Double-click on Barnard Secure.
13. A dialog balloon will pop up in the lower right-hand part of your screen, saying “Click here to select a certificate or other credentials”. Click on it.
14. A box called “Enter Credentials” will open. Put your Barnard account username in the User Name: box, and your Barnard account password in the Password: box. DO NOT append “@barnard.edu” to your username. Click OK.
15. Another dialog balloon will pop up, saying “Click here to process your logon information. Click it.
16. A box called “Validate Server Certificate” will open. If you wish, you can click “View server certificate” to verify that it was issued to radius.barnard.edu. Click OK.
17. To configure Barnard Secure as your default wireless network:
In the "Wireless Network Connection" properties, select Barnard Secure from the "Preferred networks" list and click the "Move up" button until Barnard Secure is the first preferred network in the list.