Accepting a Full-Time or Internship Job Offer
Students should carefully consider any job or internship offer they receive. In order to provide students with enough time to complete their employment search and make an informed decision, we have encouraged employers participating in our On-Campus Recruiting program to comply with listed deadlines.
You do not need to accept an offer immediately. It is standard practice to say "thank you" and let the recruiter or hiring manager know that you will get back to them with your decision. Students should wait to receive a written offer before formally accepting any job offer. Companies consider a verbal acceptance as a formal offer acceptance.
You should not hold on to multiple offers for an extended period of time. Make decisions as quickly as possible and communicate with recruiters regarding the status of your decision.
Once you have accepted an offer of employment you have made a commitment to that position and company. Any student who withdraws acceptance of (i.e., reneges) an offer obtained through NACElink and/or the On-Campus Recruiting program will be subject to immediate consequences, which may include suspension of recruiting and NACElink privileges. Students in violation of this policy will be required to attend a workshop and meet with a counselor to regain access to their NACElink account.
Once you have accepted an offer you must remove yourself from any other interview processes you have started through Career Development. Contact our office immediately at 212-854-2033 or CD@barnard.edu if you need assistance cancelling interviews scheduled through OCR.
Consider all options available to you. You should not hold on to multiple offers for an extended period of time. Make informed decisions as quickly as possible. Meet with a BCD counselor if you have any questions or concerns.
Offer Acceptance Deadlines for 2016-2017 On-Campus Recruiting Season
All on-campus employers are encouraged to give students at least two weeks from the date a written offer letter is received or until the deadlines below, whichever is later.
- For full-time offers extended to previous summer interns, students have until November 18, 2016 to make a decision
- Students interviewed for full-time positions during fall OCR have until November 18, 2016 to make a decision
- For full-time offers extended during Spring OCR, students have until February 27, 2017 to make a decision
- Students interviewed for summer internships during spring OCR have until March 3, 2017 to make a decision
Second Round Interview Policies
• Employers are required to provide students with 72 business hours’ notice of a second round interview.
• Employers must accommodate student requests for alternate second-round interview dates if they present a legitimate scheduling conflict (i.e. class, work assignment or previously scheduled interview).
Offer and Acceptance Policies (job postings)
Students have two weeks from the date a written offer letter is received to make a decision.