Every year the Office of International Programs hosts a Photo Competition (SNAP) for all returnee study abroad students,VISP (Visiting International Students Program) students and all students who have gone on a short-term faculty led trip.
The photos will be judged by Barnard Art History faculty and administrators. Winning photos will be awarded prizes (i.e. Amazon and Barnes and Nobles gift cards) in addition to being exhibited on campus in the Louise Heublein McCagg '59 Gallery in late March and the Altschul Tunnel in May.
Details about the submission requirements are below. Please note that we've changed some of the categories this year.
Submissions for the contest are due March 1 by 5:00 p.m. Please note that we will accept only photos sent electronically to email@example.com
- Each submission should contain the photo's title, category to which it is submitted, location, approximate date taken, your name and email address. Each photo should also have a short description of why you think it fits into one of the below categories.
- Each student may submit a maximum of 4 photos.
- Photos should be high-resolution and should be of the following formats: .jpg, .gif, .png or .tif.
- The categories include:
- Intellectual Exploration: A photo that demonstrates intellectual exploration and academic learning. Images should capture a moment when you learned something new or gained a deeper understanding of an intellectual concept.
- Personal Growth: A photo that demonstrates personal and/or extracurricular learning and growth. Images can capture a moment when you learned something new about yourself, accomplished a new task, when your values were tested, when you adapted to your new environment, gained a new kind of independence, etc.
- Global Issues: A photo that captures a deeper understanding of complex global issues such as gender, poverty and environment, among others.
- Cultural Comparison: A photo which shows a better understanding of a culture other than your own or a new perspective on your own culture.