For a select group of scholars, the Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) and the Barnard Opportunity Program (BOP) offer an additional pathway to admission to Barnard. Students admitted to either the HEOP or BOP Scholars Programs exhibit spirit, drive, curiosity and motivation characteristic of Barnard students. Our scholars also achieve academically, despite financial and academic disadvantage. To be considered, students must meet eligibility requirements. Once enrolled, scholars are supported in their drive toward success with further resources and assistance once on campus.
The HEOP Scholars Program was established at Barnard in 1970 and is funded in partnership with New York State. Students must be residents of New York State in order to apply for the program. Students in the Barnard Opportunity Program benefit from the same resources and opportunities as HEOP Scholars but are residents of states other than New York. Our scholars are part of a small community with extra mentorship and support to persist through the challenging and exciting transition to college, four years of growth at Barnard, and post-graduation years.
- Submit the Common Application online at www.commonapp.org.
- On the Common Application, please indicate your interest in the HEOP Program and complete the HEOP Supplemental Application.
- Submit the $65 application fee or fee waiver request online at www.commonapp.org.
- Submit official results from either the College Board SAT Reasoning Test with two SAT Subject Tests or the ACT Assessment Test with Writing. The College Board code number for Barnard is 2038.The ACT code number for Barnard is 2718.
- Your SAT Critical Reasoning score must be 620 or below, and/or your ACT English subscore 24 or below.
- Your high school grade point average must be 85 or above.
- You must be a high school graduate and be younger than 21 years of age as of the application year.
To transfer into Barnard College through HEOP, students must currently be or previously have been enrolled in an approved HEOP, EOP, or SEEK. Transfer students must meet Barnard Admissions Standards. Transfer admission for HEOP is on a space available basis and is offered prior to the beginning of the Fall and Spring semester.
Financial Aid determines whether HEOP applicants meet the New York State income guidelines for participation in the program. All HEOP applicants must submit the financial aid application materials by the required deadlines to be considered for the HEOP Scholars Program. All information submitted by the student and her family in support of her application for financial aid is treated with utmost confidentiality. Entering HEOP students are notified of financial aid decisions when they are notified of admission.
- present a low-income profile, determined by NY State Education Department guidelines.
- be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- be a NY state resident.
- All Barnard Aid is based on financial need. Barnard College is committed to meeting 100% of demonstrated need through a variety of sources including Federal (Pell), TAP, Barnard grants, HEOP grant, student loans, and the work-study program.
The Academic Summer Program
- Participating in a five-week academic summer program required prior to your first year, usually held from July to August.
- Taking classes in literature and writing, science, mathematics, social science and participating in communication workshops.
- Having your room, board, and transportation fully covered.
- Participating in the Sister to Sister Program (a support network of Barnard upper-class women and alumnae).