Times Square Ink (TSI) works closely with Midtown’s fatherhood program, Dad’s United for Parenting (D-Up), to provide New York City non-custodial fathers, who are over the age of 24 and have a son or daughter that does not live with them, many of whom have criminal histories, with comprehensive parenting and job training/placement services. TSI/D-UP clients enroll in a six-week workforce development and fatherhood program that covers topics such as resume-building, co-parenting, cover letters, child discipline, professionalism, and networking, among others. Clients ago through a 22-session cognitive behavioral therapy course called Thinking for a Change. All clients who attend the program are eligible for program incentives and free family activities and events.
Guggenheim Internship Description
The Guggenheim intern will co-facilitate job readiness workshops: resume skills, interview techniques, cover letters, etc. In addition, the intern will:
• Assist program staff with curriculum research and workshop implementation
• Assist in developing marketing materials and upkeep of social media outlets.
• Assist with data entry of clients which includes intakes, assessments, case notes, job placements, and job retention.
• Help organize events for clients, which include alumni events, family trips to museums and sporting events, and graduations.
• Assist in outreach to potential employers and community partners.
• Provide administrative assistance to Employment Specialist and Program Coordinator.
• Facilitate a court-mandated employment group, Pathways to Employment, to help defendants reconnect with work and additional resources.
Other possible projects may include increasing participants' use and familiarity with social media, strengthening the use of email (through games and activities for clients), creating press packets for referral sources and community partners, and brainstorming ideas for possible alumni and family events.
TSI/D-Up is looking for an intern that is willing to speak to a group of 20+ men on a regular basis and is interested in strengthening their facilitation skills, and networking skills. There is some administrative work, but plenty of time for creativity and innovation. We are looking for someone that is comfortable with public speaking and being in front of an audience.
Interns are expected to attend once-a-month alumni events from 5-7pm.
Expected start time: 9:00 am
Expected end time: 5:00 pm
Required Dates: None: Available as of 06/03/2013
Internship Length: 8 -10 weeks