Building Social Impact Leadership
The mission of the Civic Engagement Fellowship is to help students gain the skills they need to create positive impact in our community, and to develop into knowledgeable and confident change agents with clear goals, action plans, and well-tested leadership skills.
Each year, three to six rising Sophomores, Juniors, or Seniors are selected in the spring semester to participate in the Civic Engagement Fellowship. Civic Engagement Fellows are expected to:
- Promote civic engagement in the Barnard community through outreach to the student body, including presentations about civic engagement-related opportunities to student groups and regular tabling and outreach on campus.
- Vision, plan, and lead campus-wide social impact initiatives each semester.
- Foster and develop relationships between Barnard College and community-based organizations in New York City, with a focus on organizations in the Morningside Heights and West Harlem area.
- Assist in the facilitation of NYCCEP initiatives, such as Barnard Reach Out and the Civic Engagement Speaker Series, helping the programs to remain relevant and responsive to students' needs.
The fellowship appointment runs through the Fall and Spring semesters. Fellows receive professional development training, opportunities to attend social justice workshops, and a stipend.
- Barnard College first-year, sophomore, or junior at time of application
- Not serving as NSOP Orientation Leader, Career Development PCA, or in any other role that would conflict with Fellowship responsibilities outlined above
- In good academic standing
- Not studying abroad in Fall 2016 or Spring 2017
Submit your application by visiting bit.ly/NYCCEPfellowship. All applications are due by noon on Friday, April 1st. Selected candidates will be invited for an interview, and final offers will be extended by the end of April 2016.
Meet the 2015-2016 Civic Engagement Fellows
Our Civic Engagement Fellows are incredible leaders, innovators, and changemakers. They hold regular office hours to help students navigate the world of civic engagement, and can also be found tabling in the Diana each month. Feel free to email them if you have questions or would like to connect! Learn more about our Fellows and how to get in touch with them here.