1. What financial aid forms are required for Returning Students?
You will find all required forms on our website at http://barnard.edu/finaid/returning-students.
2. How can I track my application? How do I know if my application is complete?
You can track your application using the Financial Aid Portal.
3. Can I email my tax documents to the Financial Aid Office?
The Financial Aid Office does not accept tax documents by email for security purposes. Please mail or fax your tax documents to our office at the mailing address or fax number below:
The Office of Financial Aid
3009 Broadway, 11 Milbank Hall
New York, NY 10027
4. Will failure to meet the deadlines affect the possibility of receiving financial aid?
After the deadline date, there is no guarantee that funds will be available.
5. How is financial need determined?
All federal financial aid administered by Barnard College is based on demonstrated need as determined by the Federal Methodology formula. Need for institutional aid is determined using a Barnard Need Analysis formula which takes into consideration all sources of income and all assets, including home equity.
6. When will I be notified of my financial aid decision?
Assuming that the deadlines are met, returning students will receive their financial aid award letters in early July.
7. My parents live together but are not legally married. How should I submit their information?
If parents report that they are "Unmarried but Living Together" (Divorced, Separated or Never Married living together) or in a "Domestic Partnership", you must submit information from both parents. If parents file separate tax returns, income data must be combined when you complete your application for financial aid. Parents living together must report their information combined, regardless of their marital status or gender.
8. How do I report outside scholarships?
All outside scholarships must be reported to the Financial Aid Office by submitting a copy of the award certificate or letter from the scholarship donor indicating the type and amount of the award. Scholarship checks must be submitted to the Bursar's Office, 3009 Broadway, 15 Milbank Hall, New York, NY 10027.
9. How do outside scholarships affect my financial aid package?
Outside scholarships will be used to reduce the self-help portion (Work/Student Loan) of your financial aid package. After outside scholarships completely eliminate the self-help portion of your financial aid package, any remaining scholarship funds will be used to reduce any Barnard College Grant you may have received.
10. I plan to study abroad for a semester or school year; will my financial aid change?
All students considering studying abroad must make an appointment with a financial aid officer prior to their departure to discuss their financial aid. Please see detailed information about Study Abroad Policies and Application Process.
11. How do I obtain a Barnard College Job award increase?
If you are receiving need-based financial aid, all Barnard College Job award increases must be approved by the Financial Aid Office. Please contact our office by email at email@example.com to request an increase or drop in during Walk-In Hours to meet with a counselor.
12. How do I waive Aetna Student Health Insurance?
If you are already covered by another medical insurance, you may submit a request to waive Aetna Student Health Insurance.
13. Will being a Resident Assistant (RA) impact my Financial Aid package?
RA students are not charged for housing and are eligible to receive an RA financial aid award as part of the financial aid package. The RA financial aid award will reduce the self-help (Work/Student Loan) portion of our financial aid package. If your RA financial aid award and any outside scholarships exceed the amount of your self-help, then any remaining funds will be used to reduce any Barnard Grant you may have received.
14. What if I decide to live off-campus?
Students who decide to live off-campus or commute from home will have their Barnard Grant reduced by approximately $12,000 to reflect the cost of a commuter. Please see our policies on Resident or Commuter status.