Organization Website: http://www.sanctuaryforfamilies.org
Location: New York
Former Intern(s): Catherine Rolfe, Barnard '15
Sanctuary for Families is the leading nonprofit in New York state dedicated exclusively to serving domestic violence victims, sex trafficking victims, and their children. Sanctuary helps thousands of victims and their children build safe lives by offering a range of high quality services to meet their complex needs. These services include clinical, legal, shelter, children’s and economic empowerment services. Sanctuary also works to end domestic violence and its far-reaching impact through outreach, education, and advocacy.
Sanctuary provides services in nine locations including our Manhattan Office, Bronx Family Justice Center, Brooklyn Family Justice Center, and the Queens Family Justice Center. Sanctuary values each individual intern and his/her contributions brought to the agency.
Guggenheim Internship Description
The Guggenheim intern will :
• Conduct outreach and begin prospective client engagement with clients preparing to be discharged.
• Provide shelter case management around employment, finance, education and housing assistance to clients.
• Conducts new intakes, economic assessments and exit interviews with clients.
• Assist in the development and facilitation of a group/workshop.
• Build and expand network of community resources.
• Accompany clients to appointments as appropriate for the purpose of guidance, support and advocacy.
• Work on a summer client newsletter.
• Attend agency meetings.
• Attend trainings at Sanctuary for Families and in the community.
• Attend community-based meetings.
• Engage in weekly supervision.
Bi-lingual English / Spanish preferred. Prior experience / knowledge of domestic violence.
Expected start time: 9:00 am
Expected end time: 5:00 pm
Required Dates: this internship can take place anytime between 06/03/13 to 08/16/13
Internship Length: 8-10 weeks
Additional Information: The internship will be at the agency's transitional domestic violence shelter that serves 56 families.
The regular work schedule would be from 9 AM to 5 PM. If a student was interested / willing to participate in an evening client group, the schedule for that day would be 11 AM - 7 PM.