We are no longer accepting applications to teach courses for Summer 2013. Thank you for your interest.
Faculty interested in teaching for Pre-College Programs, should read the letter below before filling out a Course Proposal Form
Thank you for your interest in teaching for Pre-College Programs. Our 4-weeK and 1-week liberal arts programs are coed programs for high school students who are intellectually prepared for college-level work and will have completed tenth or eleventh grade by June 2013.
Opportunities to teach are available in next summer’s four-week program which will run from June 23 through July 20, 2013, and in the one week liberal arts session which is held from June 23 - June 29, 2013. Four-week courses meet four days a week for four weeks, and one-week sessions meet daily Monday through Friday.
A fact that distinguishes Barnard’s Pre-College Program from other summer programs for high school students is that New York City frequently functions as an extension of the classroom. For example, in addition to in-class meetings and discussions, an art history class may visit the many museums in NYC, or a theatre course may meet with professional actors and directors. The daily schedule allows time for travel; thus, a class may spend a morning at the NY Stock Exchange or an afternoon in the archives of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Please keep in mind the following guidelines as you formulate proposals:
- Successful courses are developmentally appropriate and make allowances for the difference between high school and college students.
- Successful four-week courses are broad in their appeal, as opposed to being highly specialized.
- Successful one-week mini-courses offer intensive study of a single subject and will incorporate structured out-of-class assignments or group work daily.
For questions regarding compensation, please contact our office at email@example.com.
COMPLETE AND RETURN COURSE PROPOSAL
DEADLINE: October 22, 2012
- turn it in to our office in 235 Milbank OR
- fax it to (212) 854-8867 OR
- e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org OR
- mail to:
3009 Broadway, Milbank 235
New York, NY 10027
Note that all applicants must have at least a master’s degree and some teaching experience. If your proposal is selected for further review, you will be contacted for an interview.
Ann T. Dachs