For Your Room
Please bring only surge protectors/suppressors like the one pictured above, which has a flat plug that lies flush against the outlet, allowing the cord to hug the wall as it approaches the floor.
If you bring a lamp, we strongly encourage you to use CFL light bulbs like the ones pictured above. These light bulbs are energy-efficient and leave a small carbon footprint (Halogen bulbs are *not* allowed).
- Air purifier (if you are prone to allergies)
- Alarm clock
- Blanket, comforter, extra long twin sheets, pillow(s)
- Cleaning supplies (broom and dustpan, glass cleaner, sponges, small trash bags)
- Clothes hangers
- First aid kit, flashlight, sewing kit
- Lamps (we recommend a three-spotlight floor lamp; no halogen lamps are permitted)
- Pictures, plants, posters, decorations, area rug
- Small cube refrigerator (or rent one from Collegiate Storage & Rental)
- Small desk-top fan (window fans are not permitted)
- Storage crates
- Surge protector power strip (regular extension cords are not permitted)
- Umbrella, raincoat, boots, winter coat
- Waste basket
- American power adapters (if bringing appliances from other countries)
For College Life
- ALL BARNARD correspondence you received over the summer
- Address book, envelopes, stationery, stamps
- Appointment book, calendar
- Book bag or knapsack
- Computer, laptop, printer, USB drive
- Desk supplies: pens, pencils, eraser, glue, scissors, highlighters, notebooks, tape, thumbtacks, stapler
For Personal Needs
- Blow dryer and hair products
- Laundry bag, detergent, iron, small ironing board
- Personal care products
- Shower caddy
- Towels, washcloths, shower shoes
|DON'T BRING THESE!|
Extension cords are prohibited in the residence halls because they are a fire hazard. You may only use surge protectors like the one pictured at the top of page.
Halogen-bulb lamps are not allowed, as they are a fire hazard and prohibited in the residence halls. While we encourage you to use CFL light bulbs, you may bring any lamp that uses a regular light bulb.
What to Leave at Home
- All of your books and notes from high school
- Your entire wardrobe
- Ethernet cords (most of campus has WiFi)
- Quarters (the laundry machines use a card, not change)
Prohibited Items (not allowed anywhere in the Residence Halls)
For the full list of items not allowed int he residence halls, please visit barnard.edu/reslife/policies/prohibited-items.