What are Global Ambassadors?
GAs are Barnard students that help to welcome and integrate Barnard’s international student population.
Where are our international students from?
Our international students come from 35 different countries, including Barnard’s partner schools in Denmark, Italy, China, South Korea, Spain, Australia, France, Ireland, Mexico, Norway, the UK, and other countries.
Who should apply to be a Global Ambassador?
ISS looks for applicants who are considering a study abroad program, those who have studied or lived abroad, and anyone who is interested in learning about other cultures and languages. Applicants should be interested in making new friends from across the globe and excited to show our international students around Barnard and New York City.
What do Global Ambassadors do?
- Assist with IPOP workshop at the start of each fall semester, and with the Visiting International Student Program (VISP) Orientation each January;
- Attend a series of trainings to prepare for activities and events during the fall and spring semesters;
- Communicate with new international students before they arrive at Barnard via email;
- Plan and organize activities and events with the ISS graduate assistant.
What are the benefits of becoming a Global Ambassador?
- Gain skills in cross-cultural communication and event planning;
- Organize and participate in cultural exchanges
- Develop global connections and lasting friendships;
- Learn or improve a foreign language;
- Prepare to study abroad, if part of your academic plans.
Questions about the Global Ambassador Program?
Please email ISS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Feedback from previous Global Ambassadors:
"I learned the importance of getting to know people of all different ethnicities, backgrounds, religions, etc. It is a lesson I have learned before but not in such an integrated context."
"I learned that you can make connections with people from totally different cultures as long as you keep an open mind."
"It was a unique experience and I'm glad I got to share my own culture and traditions with them as well."
"I have made life-long friends from taking part in the program."
"I learned how to appreciate New York again!"