Barnard College has a rich and varied history. Students, faculty, and administrators have all played an essential role in creating and enlivening the culture of Barnard since its founding. The Barnard College Archives features extensive collections related to the college’s history and this research guide is not an extensive list of the archives’ available resources. Contact the Barnard Archives to learn more about the collections.
Chief Administrators Correspondence
- BC 2.1 Ella Weed, Chairman of the Academic Committee, 1889-1894
- BC 2.2 Emily James Smith (Putnam), Dean, 1894-1900
- BC 2.3 Laura Drake Gill, Dean, 1901-1907
- BC 2.4 Virginia Crocheron Gildersleeve, Dean, 1911-1947
- BC 2.5 Millicent Carey McIntosh, Dean, 1947-1952; President, 1952-1962
- BC 2.6 Rosemary Park, President, 1962-1967
- BC 2.7 Martha Elizabeth Peterson, President, 1968-1975
- BC 2.8 Jacquelyn Anderson Mattfeld, President, 1976-1980
- BC 1.1 Charters and statutes, 1934-1988
- BC 1.6 Board of Trustees - Correspondence
- BC 1.8 George Arthur Plimpton Papers, 1889-1936
- BC 3 Buildings and Grounds
- BC 5.1 Dean’s Office and Departmental Correspondence, 1904-1960
- BC 5.21 Barnard College Public Affairs/Public Relations Office records, [ca. 1930-1998]
- BC 34 Faculty, Staff, Visitors – Biographical Files
- BC 13.2 Anthropology Department records 1955-1980
- BC 13.8 Biology Department records, 1959-1974
- BC 13.9 Botany Department Records, 1889-1966
- BC 13.4 Dance Department Records, 1967-1991
- BC 13.44 Physical Education
- BC 13.53 Minor Latham Playhouse/Brinckerhoff Theatre records, 1903-
- BC 36 Programs for Non-Barnard College Students
- BC 35 Administrative Scrapbooks
Organizations and Clubs
- BC 37.1 Barnard College Student Government Association/Undergraduate Association records, 1903-1995, 1903-1968 (bulk).
- BC 37.2 Black Organization of Soul Sisters (B.O.S.S.)
- BC 37.3 Barnard Botanical Club
- BC 20.2 Helen Bacon Papers
- BC 20.9 Duer Family Papers
- BC 20.1 Dr. Lucyle Hook Papers
- BC 20.3 Mirra Komarovsky Papers
- BC 20.6 Helen Rogers Reid Collection
- BC 20.8 Annie Nathan Meyer
- BC 20.7 Sherry Suttles
- BC 40 Barnard Camp/Holly House (images taken of Holly House can be found here).
- BC 35.1 Scrapbook of Social Activities, 1924-1953
- BC 15.14 Eleanor Meyers Jewett Scrapbooks: 1908-1912
- BC 15.12 Stella Bloch Hanau Scrapbook: 1905-1913
- BC 15.2 Jessie May Wendover, 1896
- BC 15.3 Susan I. Myers, 1898
- BC 15.4 Gertrude C. (Clark) Hitchcock, 1903
- BC 15.5 Frances Hope (Purdon) Leavitt, 1905
- BC 15.6 Edith Somborn Scrapbook: 1903-circa 1906
- BC 15.1 Laura G. (Levy) Jackson, 1893
- BC 15.7 Mary Catherine Reardon, 1907
- BC 15.8 Sophie Parsons Woodman, 1907
- BC 15.9 Florence G. (Sammet) Rothschild, 1908
- BC 15.10 Alice Catherine Grant Scrapbook: 1904-1907
- BC 15.11 Edith Louise Allen, [student, 1907-1910]
- BC 15.20 Dorothy Oak Scrapbook: 1913-1918
- BC 11.11 Circular of Information/Announcements/Course Catalogs
- BC 11.25 Barnardiana
- BC 12.8 Barnard Barnacle/Barnacle Quarterly/Barnard Quarterly 1923-1944
- Barnard Bulletin Online
- BC 12.3a Barnard Bulletin Supplements: 1969-1970
- BC Barnard Magazine
- BC 12.5 Focus on Barnard/Focus 1950-1969
- BC 12.1 Mortarboard: 1894-Present
- BC 33 Honor's Papers and Theses
"Again the Palisades Grow Dark." Barnard College Alumnae Magazine June 1944: 3-13.
Barnard College Board of Trustees. Barnard's War Service. New York: Barnard College, May 1919.
Barnard Strike Coalition. Why We Strike. New York: Barnard Strike Coalition, 1970.
Butler, Nicholas M., and Barnard College. Barnard College 1889-1914. New York: Douglas C. McMurtrie, 1915.
Gildersleeve, Virginia C. "Barnard College: Its Birth and Its Strength." Barnard College Alumnae Monthly Nov. 1932: 3-6.
Gildersleeve, Virginia C. Many a Good Crusade: Memoirs of Virginia Gildersleeve. New York: Macmillan, 1954.
McCaughey, Robert A. Stand, Columbia: A History of Columbia University in the City of New York, 1754-2004. New York: Columbia University Press, 2003.
McCaughey, Robert A., and Barnard College. A Statistical Profile of the Barnard College Faculty, 1900-1974. New York: Barnard College Department of History, 1975.
Meyer, Annie Nathan, Barnard Beginnings. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1935.
Miller, Alice D., and Susan Myers. Barnard College: the First Fifty Years. New York: Columbia University Press, 1939.
Pullman, Mary S. "In the Beginning: As Remembered by Barnard's First Student." Bulletin of the Associate Alumnae of Barnard College May 1924: 15-16.
"The Origin of Barnard's Most Famous Tradition: 51st Greek Games." Barnard College Alumnae Magazine, March 1955: 6.
Walter, Judith M. Perceptions of Leadership Roles: Women in Barnard College, 1889-1939. New York: Columbia University Press, 1984.
White, Marian C. A History of Barnard College. New York: Columbia University Press, 1954.
Woolf, Dorothy. "Dr. Butler Talks About Barnard." Barnard College Alumnae Monthly, June 1937: 12-14