Early Decision

1. Am I eligible to apply for need-based institutional aid after I am admitted?

No. If you think you will need financial aid to attend Barnard, you MUST apply at the same time you apply for Early Decision admission and meet the required due date. 
2. Is there a way to estimate my financial aid award? 
Visit Barnard's Estimate Your Aid page to use the MyinTuition and Net Price Calculators to receive an estimate of the amount of financial aid you may be offered if you are accepted to Barnard. The Financial Aid Office will need to see all tax returns and requested documentation before reviewing a financial aid file to determine eligibility. 

3. What financial aid forms are required for Early Decision?

You will find all required forms on our website at http://barnard.edu/finaid/early-decision

4. How can I track my financial aid application?  How do I know if my financial aid application is complete?

You can track your financial aid application using the Financial Aid Checklist in your application portal.

5. How do I submit my documents to the Financial Aid Office?

The CSS Profile and FAFSA are completed online. All tax documents and supplementary forms can be uploaded into the application portal.

6.  Will failure to meet the due date affect the possibility of receiving financial aid?

After the due date, there is no guarantee that funds will be available.

7. If I receive an offer of financial assistance in my first year, am I guaranteed assistance in all four years? 
A student who is admitted to Barnard with a Barnard College Grant may expect grants in future years, provided that she continues to meet economic and academic eligibility and reapplies each year. Factors that may impact a student's eligibility in subsequent years include: the number of siblings enrolled in college, fluctuation of parent or student income and assets, and family size. Students who are admitted to Barnard without financial aid are not guaranteed College grants for future years. Awards are for the academic year only. 
8. Are there merit scholarships at Barnard not based on need? 
Barnard does not offer any merit, athletic or talent based scholarships.  Barnard's institutional financial aid is based on financial need.
9. How is financial need determined? 
All federal financial aid administered by Barnard College is based on demonstrated need as determined by the Federal Methodology formula. Need for institutional aid is determined using a Barnard Need Analysis formula which takes into consideration all sources of income and all assets, including home equity, as well as the number of siblings in college.

10. When will I be notified of my financial aid decision? 
Assuming that the due date is met, Early Decision applicants will receive their decision letters in mid-December along with the Admissions acceptance letter.

11.  Does my financial aid application have any bearing on my application for admission?
No.  Admissions is need-blind.
12.  Would I get a different financial aid package if I apply Regular Decision?
No.  It makes no difference whether you apply Early Decision or Regular Decision.  We use the same data and procedures to determine your eligibility for aid as an Early Decision or Regular Decision applicant.
13. My parents are divorced and my child support ends when I turn 18. Must my non-custodial parent still submit his/her information?
Yes. Barnard requires financial aid information from both parents regardless of when child support ends and regardless of what the divorce decree states.  The College is not bound by family or court agreements when awarding our own institutional funds.
14. My parents were never married, so why must I submit both of their financial information?
Barnard's policy is to collect financial documentation from both parents, regardless of their marital or legal status.  We do not consider unwillingness to submit financial documents as a reason to waive this requirement.  Refer to Barnard's policy.
15.  My parents live together but are not legally married.  How should I submit their information?
If parents report that they are "Unmarried but Living Together" (Divorced, Separated or Never Married living together) or in a "Domestic Partnership", you must submit information from both parents.  If parents file separate tax returns, income data must be combined when you complete your application for financial aid.  Parents living together must report their information combined, regardless of their marital status or gender.
16.  I cannot submit my Non-Custodial Parent information.  What should I do?
On a case by case basis, the Office of Financial Aid will consider unusual circumstances that prevent an applicant from submitting information about the non-custodial parent.  Applicants who wish to petition for a waiver of the non-custodial parent component of the application should email our office at finaid@barnard.edu to request the Non-Custodial Waiver Petition. The completed form can be uploaded to the applicant's portal and it will be reviewed. Completing the form does not guarantee that we will waive the request for non-custodial parent information.  There is no appeal process if a waiver request is denied.

17.  How does the number of siblings in undergraduate college affect my financial aid?

The number of dependent siblings in undergraduate college is a major factor in calculating the parent contribution.  If you reported on the CSS Profile and FAFSA that you have siblings enrolled full-time in undergraduate college, and they do not enroll as reported, there will be an adjustment to the parent contribution and the financial aid award.
18. Are siblings enrolled in graduate school or post-college programs considered when calculating financial aid eligibility?
Once a sibling has graduated from college, the institutional and CSS Profile formulas do not take into account any graduate school or post-college programs costs. Students in graduate school programs are generally considered to be independent students, per federal regulations.