Current Students

1. How do I access my Financial Aid Portal for 2019-2020?

The Financial Aid Office will send students a personalized link to their new Financial Aid Portal via email. We recommend that students bookmark this link for future use. Once students have set up a password for their portal they will be able to reset their password as needed.

2. What financial aid forms are required to reapply for aid?

A checklist of required documents is included in each financial aid applicant's Financial Aid Portal. Additional documents may be added after a student has completed the FAFSA and CSS Profile. All required forms are also listed on the Apply for Aid page of our website.
3. How do I know if my application is complete?

You can track the status of your application using the Financial Aid Checklist within your Financial Aid Portal. Additional documents may be added to your checklist as documents are reviewed. All students should monitor their checklists on a regular basis to ensure that all required documents have been received.

4. My documents will not upload to the portal. How can I troubleshoot this process?

We recommend saving your document as a pdf, jpeg, or Word document in order to sucessfully upload your documents to the portal. Documents that are password protected cannot be uploaded. If a document is password protected, we recommend temporarily removing the password in order to upload the document or sending a hard copy to our office for our staff to upload for you.

5. Can I email my tax documents to the Financial Aid Office?

All documents should be submitted via upload to the student's Financial Aid Portal online. If you are having trouble uploading documents to your portal, you may submit them to our office by email, mail, or fax and the Financial Aid staff will upload them on your behalf.

6. Will failure to meet the deadlines affect the possibility of receiving financial aid?

After the deadline date, there is no guarantee that funds will be available.

7. How is financial need determined? 
All federal financial aid administered by Barnard College is based on demonstrated need as determined by the Federal Methodology formula. Need for institutional aid is determined using a Barnard Need Analysis formula which takes into consideration all sources of income and all assets, including home equity. 

8. When will I be notified of my financial aid decision? 
Assuming that the deadlines are met, returning students will receive their financial aid decision letters in late June. Award letters will be posted within the Financial Aid Portal.

9. My parents live together but are not legally married. How should I submit their information?
If parents report that they are "Unmarried but Living Together" (Divorced, Separated or Never Married living together) or in a "Domestic Partnership", you must submit information from both parents.  If parents file separate tax returns, income data must be combined when you complete your application for financial aid.  Parents living together must report their information combined, regardless of their marital status or gender.
10. How do I report outside scholarships?
All outside scholarships must be reported to the Financial Aid Office by submitting a copy of the award certificate or letter from the scholarship donor indicating the type and amount of the award.  Scholarship checks must be submitted to the Bursar's Office, 3009 Broadway, 15 Milbank Hall, New York, NY 10027.
11. How do outside scholarships affect my financial aid package?
Outside scholarships will be used to reduce the self-help portion (Work/Student Loan) of your financial aid package. After outside scholarships completely eliminate the self-help portion of your financial aid package, any remaining scholarship funds will be used to reduce any Barnard College Grant you may have received.
12. I plan to study abroad for a semester or school year; will my financial aid change?
All students considering studying abroad must make an appointment with a financial aid officer prior to their departure to discuss their financial aid.  Please see detailed information about Study Abroad Policies and Application Process.
13. How do I obtain a Barnard College Job award increase?
If you are receiving need-based financial aid, all Barnard College Job award increases must be approved by the Financial Aid Office.  Please contact our office by email at to request an increase or drop in during Walk-In Hours to meet with a counselor.
14. How do I waive Aetna Student Health Insurance?
If you are already covered by another medical insurance, you may submit a request to waive Aetna Student Health Insurance.

15. What if I am required to enroll in the Aetna Student Health Insurance and I cannot afford it?

Students who receive need-based institutional aid and do not qualify for the waiver are encouraged to contact our office directly to discuss additional funding to cover their health insurance fees for the year.
16. Will being a Resident Assistant (RA) impact my Financial Aid package?
RA students are not charged for housing and are eligible to receive an RA financial aid award as part of the financial aid package.  The RA financial aid award will reduce the self-help (Work/Student Loan) portion of our financial aid package.  If your RA financial aid award and any outside scholarships exceed the amount of your self-help, then any remaining funds will be used to reduce any Barnard Grant you may have received.
17. What if I decide to live off-campus?
Students who decide to live off-campus or commute from home will have their Barnard Grant reduced by approximately $15,000 to reflect the cost of a commuter.  Please see our policies on Resident or Commuter status.

18. When does payment begin and what are my options to repay my Federal Stafford loans under the Direct Loan program?

When you graduate, drop below half-time, or withdraw from Barnard College, you will receive a six-month grace period for your loans. Once your grace period ends, you must begin repaying your loan.  Refer to the repayment options at the Federal Student Loan website.

19. How does the number of siblings in undergraduate college affect my financial aid?

The number of dependent siblings in undergraduate college is a major factor in calculating the parent contribution.  If you reported on the CSS Profile and FAFSA that you have siblings enrolled full-time in undergraduate college, and they do not enroll as reported, there will be an adjustment to the parent contribution and the financial aid award.
20. Are siblings enrolled in graduate school or post-college programs considered when calculating financial aid eligibility?
Once a sibling has graduated from college, the institutional and CSS Profile formulas do not take into account any graduate school or post-college program costs. Students in graduate school programs are generally considered to be independent students, per federal regulations.