Apply for your Form I-20


The I-20/DS-2019 document will enable you to secure your F-1 or J-1 visa for study at Barnard.  The Application for I-20/DS-2019 is a fillable form. Please see our detailed instructions on how  to qualify for an I-20/DS-2019.

A complete application must include:

You must email your completed applications as one file in PDF format to:

Once your I-20 request has been approved, we will mail the I-20 to you via express mail. You will then need to make an appointment with your nearest American embassy or consulate to apply for your F-1 student visa.

Once you've read the instructions carefully, you may discover that you need to submit the forms below in addition to the I-20 request form posted above.  The forms below are not fillable online, so you will need to download them, fill them out, and submit them via email with your application.

F1 Transfer Certification:  Please submit this form ONLY IF you attended another U.S. secondary school or U.S. college/university within the last six months.

Dependent Information:  Please submit this form ONLY IF you plan to bring a spouse and/or children with you.

Sponsor’s Affidavit of Free Room and Board in the New York City Metropolitan Area:  Please submit this form ONLY IF you will be sponsored for free room and board.

Sponsor’s Affidavit of Support Form:  Please submit this form ONLY IF you have a sponsor (parent or relative) supporting you financially. Each sponsor must complete a separate Affidavit of Support Form.

Questions about these forms may be directed to Office of International & Intercultural Student Programs via email at or by phone at 212-854-1777.  Remember, your application should be submitted as one file in PDF format.