- Nicotine Anonymous
- American Lung Association
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention
- American Cancer Society
- Diana Center Café
2nd Floor. M-F 11:30 AM to 3:00 PM.
- Liz’s Place Coffee Shop
Diana Center, 1st Floor. M-Th 8 AM to 12 Midnight; Fri 8 AM to 8 PM.
Columbia University Faculty House
Barnard staff may join the Columbia University Faculty House at 400 West 117th Street (at Morningside Drive). Anyone, including non-members, may eat at the Faculty House. Call x41200 for more information, or visit their website.
Local Cafeterias & Snack Bars
- Center Court Café
Interchurch Center, Claremont Avenue (between 119-120th Streets), Lower Level
M-F, Breakfast 6:30 to 10:30 AM, Lunch 11:30 Am to 2 PM, Coffee & Snacks 2 to 3:30 PM.
- Grace Dodge Café
Teachers College, 525 West 120th Street
M-Th 8 AM to 7:30 PM, Fri 8 AM to 2:30 PM.
- Joe the Art of Coffee
Columbia University, Northwest Corner Building, 550 W. 120th Street (at Broadway), 2nd Floor
M-F 8 AM to 8 PM, Sat & Sun 9 AM to 6 PM
In addition, there are numerous coffee shops, restaurants, delis, and specialty food shops in the Morningside Heights area.
Vending machines (soda and snacks) are located in several Barnard buildings throughout the campus.
- Altschul: basement near entrance to Diana
- Lehman: basement near central stairs
- Milbank: ground level of main entrance
- Sulzberger: lower level near the elevator
Contact the Residential Life & Housing (x45561) for refunds of money lost in machines.
A United States Post Office is located at 534 West 112th Street, just east of Broadway.
Parking arrangements are solely at the discretion of the employee. Please contact the garages directly for current rates:
- Garage Management Company Garage
532 West 122nd St. (at Broadway)
- Manhattan Parking Group Garage
545 West 110th St. (at Broadway)
- Riverside Church Garage (Rapid Park)
120th between Riverside & Claremont
There are also privately owned garages in the immediate area, including:
- E&B Garage
137 West 108th St.
- GGMC Garage
512 West 112th St.
- More Than Parking
631-635 West 131st St.
The following day-care and preschool programs are located in the area. Programs generally enroll students in October for the following school year and fill quickly, so EARLY action is recommended. Many programs offer tuition assistance and scholarships. Please note that programs are subject to change and may be different from what is noted below. For current program details, please contact the centers directly.
Adults and Children in Trust (A.C.T.)
1047 Amsterdam Avenue @ 112th Street (212-316-7530)
Ages 13 mos. to 13 yrs, classes only. Summer camp is 3 to13 yrs, Full-time.
Bank Street Family Center
610 West 112th Street (212-875-4414)
Ages 6 mos. to 4 yrs.
Barnard Center for Toddler Development
3009 Broadway (212-854-8271)
Ages 19 mos. to 36 mos. Part-time.
Basic Trust/Toddler Center
225 W. 99th Street (212-222-6602)
Ages 3 mos. to 5 yrs. Full-time for entire week or portion of a week.
Bloomingdale Family Program
125 W.109th Street (212-663-4067)
Ages 3 to 4 yrs. Full and Part-time.
Broadway Presbyterian Church Nursery School
601 W. 114th St. (212-663-5746)
Ages 2 yrs., 9 mos. to 5 yrs. Part-time 9 AM to 12:30 PM, option of extra 2 hrs. (until 2:30 PM) or early drop-off at 8:15 AM.
Center for Infants and Parents, TC
525 W. 120th Street (212-678-3013).
Ages 6 weeks to 5 yrs. Full and part-time.
Center for Toddlers and Parents, TC
Ages 2.5 to 4 yrs. Full and Part-time.
Children’s Learning Center
90 LaSalle Street (212-663-9318).
Ages 6 mos. to 5 yrs. Full and Part-time.
Columbia Greenhouse Nursery School & Kindergarten
424 W.116th Street (212-666-4796)
Part-time programs for children ages 2 to 5 yrs.
Columbus Park West Nursery
100 W. 94th Street (212-866-1567)
Ages 2.5 to 5 yrs. Part-time mornings (9 AM to 12 PM or 9 AM to 1 PM) Special: Mon, Tues, Thurs program for 2 yr. olds.
The Family Annex Childcare/Nursery School
560 W. 113th Street (212-749-3271)
Ages 18 mos. to 5 yrs.
Grant Day Care Center
1299 Amsterdam Avenue @ 125th Street (212-666-6000)
Ages 2.5 to 5 yrs. Full-time and 6 to 9 yrs. Part-time.
Harbor Morningside Children’s Center
311 W. 120th Street (212-864-0400)
Ages 2 to 10 yrs. Pre-school is full-time and after-school is part-time.
Hollingworth Preschool Box
170, Teachers College (212-678-3851)
Ages 3 yrs to 4 yrs.
3 yrs. - 8:30 to 11:30 AM, with 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM option.
4 yrs. - 11:45 AM to 4:00 PM.
The Medical Center Nursery School (Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center)
60 Haven Avenue (212-304-7040)
Ages 2 yrs to 6 yrs. Full and Part-time.
The Nursery Infant Toddler Center
130 Fort Washington Avenue @ 165th Street (212-740-4455)
Ages 2 mos. to 5 yrs. Full-time only.
Purple Circle Day Care Center
251 W. 100th Street, 4th Floor (212-866-9193)
Ages 2 to 5 yrs. Part and Full-time.
Red Balloon Day Care Center
560 Riverside Drive (Phone: 212-663-9006; Fax: 212-932-0190)
Ages 2 to 5 yrs. Part and Full-time.
The Riverside Church Weekday School
490 Riverside Drive (212-749-7155)
Ages 2.5 to 6 years. Part and Full-time September through May; Summer sessions available.
St. Hilda’s and St.Hugh’s
619 W.114th Street (212-932-1980)
An Episcopal school for children. Part-time program for ages 2 yrs to 2 yrs./10 mos. Full and Part-time nursery school program. Other Full-time programs through the 8th grade. Also after school and summer programs.
Tompkins Hall Nursery School
21 Claremont Avenue (212-666-3340)
Ages 15 mos. to 4 yrs. Full and Part-time. Tuition is lowered for parents who work as staff assistants.
Washington Heights Child Care Center
610-614 W. 175th Street (212-781-2472 or 212-781-6910)
Ages 2yrs./9 mos., 4 yrs. and 5 yrs. Full and Part-time.
After school 2 to 6 PM.
West End Collegiate Playschool
Mailing: 368 West End Avenue NYC, 10024
Location: 245 W. 77th Street (212-787-1566)
Ages 3 yrs. (9 to 11:45 AM) and 4 yrs. (12:45 to 3:30 PM)
West Side Cooperative Preschool
165 W. 105th Street (212-749-4635)
Ages 2 yrs./9 mos. to 4 yrs./10 mos.
Full-time - 9 AM to 3:30 PM. Part-time - 9 AM to 1 PM.
251 W. 100th Street, 3rd floor (212-866-4993)
Ages 2, 3 and 4 yrs. 2 yrs. - 8:30 AM to 12:30 PM. 3 and 4 yrs. - 8:30 AM to 2:30 PM.
Contact Human Resources for further information on child care.
There are a number of local and national businesses that offer a discount to Barnard employees. In addition, some discounts are available through Barnard benefit plans. Below is a listing of discounts and related resources. If you know of any additional discounts that may be available, please email Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that all discounts may be subject to change or discontinuation without notice.
The Purchasing department also maintains a listing of preferred vendors that offer discounts on rental cars and other services. For additional information, visit their website.
Aetna Discount Programs
There are a number of discounts available to faculty, administrators and confidential employees who are members of the Aetna Dental Plan. Some of the discounts available include MayoClinic Bookstore; Waterpik®; Salon Wish; eDiets®; Jenny Craig®; Nutrisystem®; and Zagat®. For a complete list of discounts, please visit Aetna.com. Once logged in, click on "Discount Programs" in the "Related Shortcuts" menu on the left. Follow the individual directions for discounts of interest.
GHI Good Health Incentives Discount Program
There are a number of discounts available to employees who are members of the GHI Health Plans. Some of the discounts available include health care services and products; health club memberships; registered dietitians; massage therapy; acupuncture therapy; hearing care; vitamins and natural supplements; Davis Vision Centers (including exams, eyewear, contacts, and laser vision correction); MyMedicalCDTM and Weight Watchers®. For more information and a complete list of discounts available, please contact Human Resources or visit GHI online.
Cigna Healthy Rewards Program and Discounts
There are a number of discounts available to faculty, administrators and confidential employees who are members of the Cigna Health Plans. Some of the discounts available include Jenny Craig, Drugstore.com, Fitness clubs and equipment, Lasik vision correction, tobacco cessation, and alternative medicine. For a complete list of discounts available, please visit Cigna Health online. Once logged in, select click on “Discount Programs – Healthy Rewards” located under the “Stay Healthy” menu item on the mid-lower bottom of the screen. Follow the individual navigation for discounts of interest.
Personal Cellular Phones
AT&T: 20% off eligible rate plans (new or existing accounts); waive activation fee; and better of 25% equipment/accessories discount or prevailing promotion. Please contact Human Resources for more information or visit AT&T's Business Center Portal.
Sprint: Discount:19% off select regularly priced Sprint monthly data service. Please reference Corp ID: GAUNV_CLB_ZZZ to receive your discount.
Current Promotional Offerings
Save 50% + $100 AMEX Restrictions apply
Switch to Sprint and you can save 50% on most Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile rate plans! Available on most plans. Plus when you switch, get a $100 Reward Card. Offer Ends 4/7/16.
After activation, register for your Reward Card at www.sprint.com/promo/iL3113TDA
Stuck with another carrier? Restrictions apply
Sprint will pay off your old phone and contract so you can switch. It’s that easy. Switch to Sprint and we’ll pay off your contract and whatever you owe on your phone via an American Express® Reward Card after online registration and phone turn in. Visit www.sprint.com/joinsprint for more information. Don’t Delay. Limited Time Offer.
Sprint Buyback Program
Earn extra cash for your devices now. Let us take your unwanted eligible wireless devices off your hands. Please visit www.sprint.com/buyback for more information.
Sprint Discount Program Information
Here are the Ways to Join Our Program:
- Online: www.sprint.com/save
- In-Store: www.sprint.com/storelocator
- Telesales: (866) 639-8354
- Contact your local Account Manager, Jennifer MacDonald (Jennifer.MacDonald@sprint.com for more information.
Current Sprint Customer? Want to Receive Your Discount?
- Please visit www.sprint.com/verify
- Enter in your mobile phone number on the Sprint network
- Follow the on-screen instructions to sign up for the discount.
- Click on the link you will receive in your work email
- This will activate your discount and verify your employment. You should expect to see the discount on your bill within 1 to 2 billing cycles.
In some instances, this process may not work for you. Make sure you enter in your mobile phone number before proceeding to the following steps.
- Upload Documentation to receive your discount: Click here.
- Fax Documentation to receive your discount: Click here.
- Have you changed affiliations? Click here to revalidate with your new discount.
Barnard College Employees can now enjoy a 15% monthly discount off their monthly bills (MRC- Monthly Referring Charges) by calling (866) 464-8662 [option 1].You must identify yourself as an employee of Barnard College and mention Promo Code: 31716TMOFAV . If you require additional support please contact David Holdwright by phone at (973) 960-4499 or by email at David.holdwright@T-Mobile.com(link sends e-mail). Retail activations do not qualify for this offer.
- No annual service contracts and No overage changes
- Receive a 15% monthly discount off on qualified rate plan. Retail Activations Do Not Qualify For This Offer
- Rollover your unused data on plans 3GB and higher+ 10GB of LTE data just for signing up (per line)
- Early Termination Fees reimbursed up to $650 per line to help free you from costly service contracts
- Unlimited Music streaming on over 26 stations
- Unlimited data and text in over 120 countries included at no extra charge
- Unlimited talk, text, and data on the fastest nationwide 4G LTE network
- Phone upgrades whenever you want with JUMP!
- 200 MB of additional data free for life on all T-Mobile connected tablets
Bronx Zoo & New York Aquarium
Discounted tickets are available for the Bronx Zoo and the New York Aquarium. Tickets must be purchased in advance by visiting https://tickets.wcs.org and entering a Store Name/Password. Please contact Human Resources (email@example.com or 212-854-2551) for the Store Name/Password.
- Club Monaco: 15% off. Must present ID at in-store checkout to receive discount. Not available online.
- J. Crew: 15% off. Must present ID at in-store checkout to receive discount. Not available online.
- JoS. A. Bank Clothiers: 20% off. Employees will need a free Corporate Discount Card in order to receive the discount. Information on how to receive the card is available from Human Resources.
For information on discounts available for computer hardware and software, please visit Barnard College Information Technology. Many discounts that are available for students, listed on the Student Computing web site, are also available for staff.
- Discount tickets to sports, movies, theater, opera, concerts, comedy shows, and other events are available through the Barnard Store (Diana Center, 1st Floor).
- Discount tickets to Broadway shows are available through Corporate Offers and can be found online at www.corporateoffers.com.
Health Club Memberships
- For those wishing to join a gym other than the Barnard or Columbia gyms (see Physical Fitness section), discounted health club memberships are available through GlobalFit Corporate Fitness. For more information, please call 1-800-294-1500 or visit them online at www.globalfit.com/.
- Crunch Fitness - Various membership rates available through Crunch Fitness, please contact Frank Sancilio at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (917) 488-2597 for more information and rates.
- New York Sports Clubs - Two options of month-to-month Passport memberships are available. For additional details and rates, please contact Melynda Egenberg at email@example.com or by phone at (646) 553-3351.
- Zipcar: Discounted membership rates are available, to join please visit www.zipcar.com/barnardcollegeand please have your driver's license available. For existing members, please contact Heather Cohen firstname.lastname@example.org with your Zipcard number.
- Miss Hall's School (Pittsfield, Massachusetts): GIRLS LEAD Scholarship Program: Up to 50% of the MHS boarding tuition to a limited number of qualifying girls. Information on the scholarship is available from Human Resources.
- Barnard staff members may purchase books and supplies at the Columbia University Bookstore (Barnes & Noble) and are eligible for limited discounts on purchases from the bookstore with a valid I.D. card.
- Verizon Connections is an exclusive program for Barnard employees providing discounts up to $10 off per month on FiOS and High Speed Internet service bundles for the home. Please visit verizon.com/connections for more information on how to enroll.
Dear Barnard Faculty and Staff:
I am pleased to announce that nominations are now being accepted for the Barnard Excellence Award. This newly created award will be presented annually to two staff member whose actions and/or behaviors illustrate the vision and values of Barnard College. I invite all faculty and staff to submit nominations for the staff person(s) who most reflects the qualities outlined in the College’s mission statement.
The Barnard Excellence Award will be presented by President Sian Leah Beilock to two members of the Barnard staff at the Staff Recognition Breakfast on Wednesday, June 12, 2019.
Any staff member in good standing and employed by the College prior to April 1, 2018, is eligible for nomination.*
Please outline in detail why your nominee is deserving of this award and what they have done through their actions, behaviors, work ethic, etc., to support the College. Nominees will have demonstrated one or more of the following qualities:
- Outstanding service and dedication
- Taken initiative in the areas of diversity and inclusion
- Successfully demonstrated agility and creativity in the workplace
- Exemplified resilience in the face of continuous change
Nominations will be read, and winners determined, by members of the Staff Recognition Committee, which is composed of staff representatives from each unit at the College.
Finalists will receive a congratulatory letter from the president and a monetary award, and their names will be engraved on a perpetual plaque that will be displayed prominently at the College.
Please nominate an outstanding Barnard staff member by completing this form: Barnard Excellence Award Nomination Form.
Forms are also available at the Office of Human Resources in 101 Altschul Hall.
Nominations must be received by Wednesday, May 29, 2019, at 5 p.m.
*Senior Staff and those who report directly to the President are not eligible for the award.
Catherine Geddis, Vice President of Human Resources
- Wollman Library, Lehman Hall: Staff members with currently validated I.D. cards may use the Barnard Library. Call x43846 for hours.
- Columbia University Libraries: Staff members have access to all Columbia University Libraries. General information about the libraries may be secured from the Library Information Office, 234 Butler, x42271.
- Barnard College: Barnard employees with a valid Barnard ID card may use the Barnard Fitness Center and register for Fitbear classes. For schedules and information, call Physical Education at x42085 or visit them online at pe.barnard.edu.
- Columbia University: Barnard employees may purchase a membership for themselves and their families at Dodge Fitness Center on the Columbia campus. For more information, contact their membership office at x42546, or visit them online at perec.columbia.edu.
- Tennis Center: Staff members may also use the Tennis Center located at 575 W. 218th Street. Courts may be rented by the hour or by the season. For more information, call 212-942-7100 or visit perec.columbia.edu.
Columbia Transportation provides travel options and information that allows the Columbia community to make safe, efficient, and timely travels to, from, and between Columbia's campuses. For more information, please visit them online at transportation.columbia.edu