This is the place to start to create a design that we can print without making time consuming adjustments to incorrectly prepared files. Templates have been created for our most common printing requests in a variety of programs appropriate for the particular job. Most of the templates are available in both Adobe InDesign and Microsoft Publisher, whereas only some of the templates are available in Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
Templates exist for the following design groups:
- Saddle stitched booklets. We make saddle stitched booklets in various sizes and have templates for these standard sizes: 5.5" x 8.5", 8.5" x 11", and 7" x 8.5". All saddle stitched booklets must be created in multiples of 4 pages, counting each page as you would in a normal page numbered book. Thus, a single page folded in half becomes a 4 page “book.”
Booklets can be “self-covered” (in which the cover stock is the same as the inside pages) or have a separate cover. A 16 page booklet could be 16 self-covered pages or 12 inside pages plus a cover. The total pages (inside plus cover) should appear on the job order form and there is a place to specify if there is a separate cover stock.
The inside pages of our standard booklets cannot bleed to the edge of the page, but the cover can. A bleed cover must be designed as a 2-page spread. We have therefore provided templates for both the inside pages and outside cover of a booklet in each of the standard sizes. If the booklet is “self-covered” and without bleeds, you can use the inside pages template for all your pages, including the cover. Insert pages after page 1 as needed for your booklet.
- Bookmarks. Bookmarks can be printed on one or both sides, with color on either or both sides. Adjust the size in Document or Page Setup if you want a larger or smaller bookmark and add a second page if your bookmark is 2-sided.
- Brochures, folded. The 2-sided templates include a tri-fold letter size brochure and a double-parallel fold legal size brochure. Note: the fold marks on these templates are intentionally different for the front and back sides.
- Business cards in standard 2" x 3.5" size.
- Cards and invitations. Cards and invitations are our “bread and butter.” We can print these very economically by setting multiple cards per sheet, but you only have to create one! Add another page if your card is 2-sided.
- Flyers and posters. Flyers and posters have a standard size range from 5.5" x 8.5" to 11" x 17". We print in black and white or full color on a variety of paper stocks. Flyers can be 1-sided or 2‑sided, so add a second page if necessary.
- Table tents. Table tents are folded cards placed on tables so the message can be read by people facing each other. We have created a common size template that folds to 5" x 7".
- Wide format posters and banners (for inkjet printouts larger than 13" x 19". Most of the unprintable files we receive are posters designed in PowerPoint. They will often fail to convert to a properly constructed and sized PDF and are costly to fix. Please start with one of our templates and you will have better results.
Creating a PDF. After creating your design in an appropriate program, please convert it to Acrobat PDF in the same template size. In most cases, you should “print to PDF” in order to display crop marks. Download the Sample Bleed With Crop Marks file to see what your final PDF should look like, and see the section on PDF Creation and associated Quick Guides for more information.
For a list of approximately 100 templates, click on the link to the Excel file below. To request a template, send an email to Print Services requesting a specific file template. Please inform us if you notice a problem with any of the templates or want to suggest a new one. We may be able to provide a custom template for you.