Barnard Magazine is a quarterly publication that presents information about the College, its alumnae, and students and celebrates the accomplishments of the Barnard community. Audiences include alumnae as well as parents, faculty and staff, donors, and other supporters. Barnard Magazine publishes news and feature articles about academic programs, explorations of institutional initiatives, profiles of alumnae, and reporting on College events. The Magazine upholds the mission of the College and addresses issues and ideas that matter, both in the wider world and on campus.
Major editorial features and articles cover careers, academia, cultural pursuits and travel, health, feminist issues, and other topics of interest to Barnard alumnae across a broad age spectrum. Regular special sections of short features include:
· Letters to the Editor–Letters should be no longer than 150 words and are published at the discretion of the editors; these letters may be edited for length and clarity.
· Editor’s Letter–Written by the Magazine editor, this essay reflects on the making of the current issue.
· The President's Page—Written by the College’s president.
· Through the Gates—Short features about special events or initiatives on campus; new programs; student activities; or current events as they impact the College.
· Salon—Alumnae profiles.
· Big Science—Short features related to science, technology, engineering, math, and medicine.
· Syllabus–Faculty profiles as well as information about new curricula, courses, or innovative academic programs.
· Sources–Institutional initiatives and examples of personal philanthropy.
· Alumnae Association—News and events from the Alumnae Association of Barnard College.
· Last Word–An alumnae-written personal essay that references the College in some way. Submissions are encouraged and should be no longer than 600 words.
· Last Image—Art produced by Barnard alumnae.
· Class Notes—The elected class correspondent/co-correspondents submit news of their classmates for publication in each issue, and contact information for these correspondents is provided, to be used solely for the purpose of providing correspondents with class news.
Ideas may be e-mailed to email@example.com or via regular mail to:
New York, NY 10027