Where can I find information about safety?
Barnard's Department of Public Safety is dedicated to providing a safe and secure environment conducive to learning for students, faculty, staff, and visitors on the Barnard College campus. In addition to providing security, fire safety and emergency management on campus, senior administrators of the Department conduct crime awareness seminars and personally assist students requiring police or other assistance. Visit Barnard Public Safety for more information.
Students can help to ensure their own safety by following these recommended tips for navigating the city:
- Always be alert and aware of your surroundings. Don’t be distracted by talking on a cell phone or texting while traveling.
- Plan your route ahead of time.
- Keep track of valuables, do not leave laptops unattended, and lock your door.
- Have your money and/or MetroCard readily available for use, so that you do not have to rummage through your bag or pockets.
- Travel in a group, and do not leave anyone behind. Always tell someone where you are going and when you are expected back. When meeting someone for the first time, go with a friend and meet in a public place.
- Exercise caution when walking about, especially late at night. Use well-populated, well-lit streets. Know where you are and how to get there.
- When using the subway, do not ride in the last car. Look for the white and black “zebra board” above the platform, which shows the location of the conductor’s car. Do not expose expensive items while in transit.
- Think twice before giving out your phone number, address, or email address to people you have recently met. Be cautious about giving out your birth date, social security number, or other information that can be used for identity theft.
- If you are lost or without means to return to campus, call Barnard's Public Safety at (212) 854-3362 and we will assist you. Make sure you save the phone number in your phone directory.
- If you need help, do not be afraid to ask for it. As residents of New York City, we live in one of the safest cities in the world. Using these safety tips will enhance your safety wherever you travel.
In addition, students who present college I.D.'s may ride on a Columbia University evening shuttle bus that makes stops between 108th and 125th Streets. The bus runs from 6 p.m. to 4 a.m., seven days a week. You student can call x42796 for schedule information.
Barnard College also provides motorized transportation by a uniformed Public Safety Officer between 9 p.m. and 4 a.m., seven days a week. The service operates between the main gate of the College and the off-campus residence halls, including Cathedral Gardens and the College Residence at 110th Street. Your student can call Public Safety at x43362 for schedule information.
I have some questions about my student’s experience, but I don’t know who to call. Is there a directory of student service-focused departments?
Yes, you can find all a complete director of Barnard student service-focused departments at Directory of Services.
When is Family Weekend? Should we plan to attend?
Save the date for Friday, October 19-Sunday, October 21 for Family Weekend 2018! We will host you and your family and there will be a variety of lectures, open houses, and other activities for you to attend. We hope you'll join us! You and your student will receive official information in late summer.
How do I send a package to Barnard?
Visit the page on Mail and Print Services for detailed information on how to send packages to students.
The following address format should be used for student mail. The word “Box” should not be used in the address, and mail should never be sent to a student’s dormitory address.
Student’s Full Name
New York, NY 10027-XXXX
In the above example, NNNN represents your 4-digit mailbox number and 10027-XXXX represents a zip+4 number assigned by the USPS for your mailbox. It is important to use your student's full 9-digit zip code at all times.
Students retrieve their mailbox number, combination and address in the Students... Mail Services section of eBear. There they will also find information about Mail & Print Services during the summer break and academic year.
Where can I find dates of school breaks and holidays so I can plan my student’s vacation schedule?
The best place to find information on the College's academic year, holidays and breaks is the Academic Calendar. All our key dates can be easily found in one convenient place.
When is Commencement? Do you have a special section on the website for parents/guardians of graduating seniors?
More information on Commencement will be announced in the fall and a website will be published that contains all the information you’ll need for this exciting time. For now, mark Wednesday, May 22, 2019 for the main University Commencement that is held at Columbia University. The final plans for our Barnard College Commencement have not yet been completed, but we’ll provide more information to our graduating seniors early in the fall semester.