New Faculty


Frequently Asked Questions

*Your Department Assistant or Administrator is available to help you with any questions or concerns you may have, including questions about your appointment status.

Columbia UNI:  To obtain your Columbia University Network ID (UNI), log onto the Columbia web page and type in your name in the Search box.  You will be taken to the Columbia Directory which lists your Columbia UNI.

I.D.:  After you have your Columbia UNI, you must activate it by logging onto the Columbia webpage, MyUNI.  After activating you UNI, take your appointment form and cover memo to Security, Barnard Hall, 1st floor. You will then be sent to Room 204 Kent on Columbia’s campus for your picture I.D.  For more information, including hours of operation see the Columbia website.

Payroll:  Faculty are paid monthly, on the next to the last working day of the month. Speak to your department assistant about check distribution. Direct Deposit is available and takes two months to process once you have completed your paperwork. Forms can be obtained from Human Resources. Questions on deductions or requests for direct deposit go to Sumerita Persaud, Controller's Office, 15 Milbank, x47630.

E-mail accounts:  After you have filled out your personnel forms with Human Resources, you will be given your e-mail and network log-in ID and password. 

Change of Address and Other Personal Information:  Barnard faculty and staff can submit changes of address and other personal information through Barnard College Employee Self Service (ESS).  ESS permits you to manage your payroll and personal information from any location with Internet availability.  ESS is accessed through the College's new portal.

Academic Calendar:  The academic calendar is available on the Registrar's website.

Religious Holidays:  The policy for religious holidays is available on the Provost's website.

Reserve readings:  To place books, articles, or other readings on reserve for your course, you can submit the reserve reading form, or simply email your list of required readings to  If you have questions or need more information, please call x19648.

How do I show a video or film?  Visit the Instructional Media and Technology Services (IMATS) web site or contact their staff at (212) 854-2418 or

Classroom size, location, condition, etc.?  Email Mary Beth Kemm if the assigned room does not meet your class needs. Call Facilities, x42041, if you need repairs, more chairs, etc.

Campus Map:  Map of Barnard CollegeMap of Columbia University.