Residence Hall Coordinator Job Description
Reporting to the Community Director, the Residence Hall Coordinator (RHC) provides direct supervision of the Resident Assistant team for the assigned residential area and implementation of the Residential Life & Housing department’s mission to create an exceptional residential experience for its students and community members.
This is a 12 month, live-in position requiring day, evening, and weekend responsibilities. RHCs must hold at most twenty hours of office availability per week with some hours being Monday through Friday from 9AM -5PM.
- Supervise approximately 6-13 undergraduate Resident Assistants.
- Organize and facilitate weekly one-to-one and team staff meetings with their supervisees. Provide consistent feedback for RAs in support of their growth and retention.
- Review and evaluate student staff programs, including program proposals and evaluations.
- Participate in student staff interviewing, hiring, and placement.
- Participate in the on-call duty rotation as the first on-site responder:
- On-Call hours are from 5PM to 9AM on weekdays and 24 hours on weekends and holidays. While on-call, RHCs must be within a 20 block radius from campus and be able to respond to any incident.
- Utilize the case management system Advocate to document incidents and work with the Community Director to follow up on low-level incidents.
- Be familiar with campus and community resources and be able to provide this information to residents.
- Maintain confidentiality and effectively share information when appropriate.
- Collaborate with the Associate Director On-Call to make appropriate referrals for residents to partner offices for additional support when needed.
- Assist the Community Director in adjudicating low level conduct violations in assigned residential area
- Serve on departmental committees as needed and assigned.
- Participate in division and College wide events as requested.
- Respond to email within a timely manner.
- Assist in departmental projects as requested by the Residential Life leadership team.
- Assist Community Director in monitoring facilities and maintenance issues within assigned buildings.
- Role model appropriate and inclusive behavior at all times including, but not limited to, monitoring online self-content and upholding university policies.
- Perform additional duties and responsibilities as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Ability to work with a diverse student and staff population
- Ability to exercise initiative and sound judgment
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and responsibilities
- Prior Residential Life and Housing or Student Affairs experience
- Previous supervisory experience
- Respond to all emergency situations in a calm, responsible and professional manner.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and leadership skills
- Propensity to work independently and interdependently within a team
- Investment and engagement in campus community and culture
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Enrollment in a graduate program in close proximity (New York Metropolitan Area) to Barnard College, not to exceed 16 credits per semester (including internship credits)
- Available to work 20 hours a week with some of the hours being Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM