- General Information
- Before You Leave For the Break...
- Students Not Returning to Housing for the Spring Semester
- Apply for Early Winter Return (starting Jan 10, 2016)
With few exceptions, students may not remain in the residence halls after the 9am Friday, December 23 closing deadline. Unfortunately, the College cannot provide any check-out extensions.
In order to leave any belongings in their room over the Break (and/or be eligible to apply for Early Winter Return), students must pay any outstanding balances for the Spring semester before the December 1 deadline. Any student with a Bursar Hold must completely vacate their room by the December 23 closing date and may not return to campus housing until after their Bursar Hold has been cleared.
During the break, College staff will check rooms to address maintenance issues & requests. Any prohibited items will be confiscated. Any windows stoppers or fire safety equipment that have been tampered with will result in fines & disciplinary action.
Any students looking for assistance in considering options for housing during Winter Break are encouraged to speak to the Res Life office, Financial Aid, their Class Dean, and/or the Dean of the College.
The residence halls remain open for Fall, Thanksgiving, and Spring breaks; however, some campus services will be closed & unavailable during these times.
- Empty all trash cans. Take bagged trash and recycling to the designated area in your building
- Make sure all faucets, ovens, stoves, and appliances are turned off
- Clean fridges of food that may spoil over break. Throw out any open food that may attract mice or bugs. Wash any dirty dishes, pots, etc.
- Unplug, defrost, and leave the door open to mini fridges only (please leave kitchen refrigerators plugged in and closed)
- Unplug all appliances (alarm clocks, lamps, TVs, computers, etc.) to save electricity. These items can use a lot of energy if left plugged in (even when turned off!)
- Take any valuables or necessities with you (computer, jewelry, passport, medications, etc.). The res halls will be closed over break so you won't be able to retreive anything you leave behind
- Turn off lights and lock all door & windows (and lower blinds to conserve heat!)
Students who will be moving out of housing (to graduate mid-year, leave for Study Abroad, withdraw from the College, etc.) must completely vacate their rooms and check out no later than 9am on Friday, December 23, 2016. Extensions are not available.
In order to avoid improper check-out fines, students must complete a check-out envelope (available from their residence hall Front Desk) and turn in their room keys. More Check-Out Info.
Students may apply for Early Winter Return, to return to housing starting 9am on Sunday, January 8, 2017 (i.e. prior to the official Wednesday, January 11 reopening of the residence halls for the Spring).
Permission for Early Winter Return is not guaranteed and approval should not be assumed. Students should plan accordingly in case their request cannot be approved.
With extremely limited exceptions, students may not be in campus housing prior to the Early Winter Return date (i.e. December 23 - January 8).