Barnard's residence halls close for Winter Break at 9am on Thursday, December 24, 2015, and reopen at 9am on Saturday, January 16, 2016.
Students may not remain in the residence halls after the 9am Thursday, December 24 closing deadline. There are no extensions.
Students may apply for Early Winter Return, to return to housing starting 9am on Sunday, January 10, 2016 (i.e. prior to the official January 16 reopening of the residence halls for the Spring). More Information.
With extremely limited exceptions, students may not be in campus housing prior to the Early Winter Return date (i.e. December 24 - January 9).
In order to leave any belongings in their room over the Break (and/or be eligible to apply for Early Winter Return), students must pay any outstanding balances for the Spring semester before the December 1 deadline. Any student with a Bursar Hold must completely vacate their room by the December 24 closing date and may not return to campus housing until their Bursar Hold has been cleared.
During the break, College staff will check rooms to address maintenance issues & requests.
The residence halls remain open for Fall, Thanksgiving, and Spring breaks; however, the dining halls and many other campus services will be closed during these times.
Before you leave for Winter Break...
- Clean fridges of food that may spoil over break. Throw out any open food that may attract mice or bugs. Wash any dirty dishes, pots, etc.
- Make sure all faucets, ovens, stoves, and appliances are turned off
- Empty trash cans. Take trash (bagged) and recycling to the designated area in your building
- Unplug, defrost, and leave the door open to mini fridges only (please leave kitchen refrigerators plugged in and closed)
- Unplug all appliances (alarm clocks, lamps, computers, etc.) to save energy. Appliances can waste a lot of electricity if left plugged in (even when turned off!)
- Take any valuables or necessities with you (computer, jewelry, passport, medications)
- Turn off lights and lock all door & windows (and lower blinds to conserve heat)
Students Moving Out of Housing at end of Fall Semester
Students who will be moving out of housing (to graduate mid-year, leave for Study Abroad, withdraw from the College, etc.) must completely vacate their rooms and check out no later than 9am on Thursday, December 24, 2015. Extensions are not available.
In order to avoid improper check-out fines, students must complete a check-out envelope (available from their residence hall Front Desk) and turn in their room keys.