Barnard Policy on Preferred Names

The Preferred Name will be used for:

  • University ID card
  • Class Rosters and Grading Rosters (myBarnard and SSOL)
  • Courseworks
  • Courseworks discussion groups
  • Barnard and Columbia Public Directories (unless the student has asked that information be blocked)
  • Communications (for example, if Barnard sends mail to the student at the student’s home address, it will be addressed to the preferred name)
  • Diploma

The legal name will be used for:

  • Office of International and Intercultural Student Programs
  • Office of Financial Aid
  • Bursar’s Office
  • Federal or State Requests for Information (including tax forms)
  • National Student Clearinghouse
  • Transcript
  • Academic Certifications (of enrollment, good standing, degree completion)
  • Athletics rosters
  • Furman Counseling Center
  • Primary Care Health Service

A student who wishes a change of legal name should follow the legal process for such a change and provide documentation to the Registrar’s Office.

If you wish to add a Preferred Name to your record, please complete the form.

Print the form, sign it, and submit it to the Registrar’s Office, 107 Milbank.  Your request will be reviewed and, if it is approved, the change will be made within one week.