Student Safety Checklist
- Laboratory Safety Training – All laboratory personnel must take the college-wide laboratory safety training class.
- NYC Fire Safety Training – If you are going to be working in a lab independently, then you will need to become C-14 certified.
- Responsible Conduct of Research Training – All SRI members must complete this training by May 20, 2019.
- Research on Humans – If you are going to do research on humans, then you will need IRB approval.
- Research on vertebrate animals – If you are going to do research on vertebrate animals, then you will need IACUC approval.
All students, staff and faculty are required to attend a laboratory safety training session prior to conducting research in a faculty laboratory. The training is offered three times a year—i.e., at the beginning of each semester and the summer. Ask your mentor for the time and location.
There is also an online version available for those who are unable to attend the class. To become certified, students must pass the test associated with the online course.
The next Lab Safety Training will be on June 3, 2019. Location To Be Announced
New York City C-14 Fire safety certification:
When a laboratory is open and running, New York City requires at least one of the occupants to be C-14 certified.
To obtain certification, Barnard students must take a test in Brooklyn. To qualify you must have completed
21 credits in a science course
To prepare for the test, we recommend that you either attend the review class or review the material online.
When you go to Brooklyn
Go early — Arrive by 8 a.m. as spaces are limited
Confirm that they are open and bring necessary materials by visiting: https://www1.nyc.gov/nycbusiness/description/cof-c14
Double check the requirements as the requirements change:
A C-14 study guide can be found here.
Fill out the A-20 form
Bring two forms of identification and a letter of recommendation from your PI
The testing fee is $25. You may be reimbursed by your department or the Dean's office. To this end, make sure you keep your receipt.
Traveling to Brooklyn
9 Metro Tech, Brooklyn, NY 11201
Take the 1 train to 59th (Columbus Circle) and transfer to the A train to Metro Tech/Jay Street
Use the Myrtle Promenade/Jay St. Metro Tech exit from the station
Walk east to the Flatbush Ave. entrance
All SRI students must complete the RCR training and upload the completion certificate no later than May 20, 2019 by 11:59 PM.