Information for Visitors
Barnard College is located on the Upper West Side of Manhattan between 116th and 120th Streets along the west side of Broadway. It is easily accessible by car, bus, or subway from anywhere in New York City, including the local airports.
New York, NY 10027
From the Henry Hudson Parkway (West Side Highway):
- Take the 96th Street exit (either from the north or south).
- Go two blocks east to Broadway.
- Take a left turn uptown to Barnard's main gate at 117th Street.
To reach the Henry Hudson Parkway from the north:
- Take the New York Thruway (Route 87) or New England Thruway (I-95) to the Cross Bronx Expressway toward the George Washington Bridge.
- Bear right as you approach the bridge and take the exit for Henry Hudson Parkway south.
From the east:
- Take the Grand Central Parkway or Long Island Expressway west to the Cross Island Parkway north.
- Cross over the Throgs Neck Bridge to the Cross Bronx Expressway toward the George Washington Bridge.
- Exit onto the Henry Hudson Parkway south.
From the south and west:
- Take the New Jersey Turnpike (I-95) north or I-80 east to the George Washington Bridge.
- Exit the bridge onto the Henry Hudson Parkway south.
- Limited street parking is available in the neighborhood. There are metered spots (parkmobile app) and side streets with alternate side parking at no cost. Meters are not in effect on Saturdays and Sundays unless noted.
- There are parking garages in the area as well.
Five bus lines stop near campus and costs $2.75 per ride (one transfer included within a 2-hr time window, between buses or bus and subway):
The Madison Avenue M4 bus and the Broadway M104 bus:
Stops at Broadway and 116th, 118th, 120th Streets.
The Sixth Avenue M5 bus:
Stops at Riverside Drive and 119th Street.
The Amsterdam Avenue M11 bus:
Stops at Amsterdam and 118th Street.
The M60 bus:
The M60 bus is a direct link between campus and Laguardia Airport. It stops at 116th and Broadway and costs $2.75.
Buses take exact change or MetroCards. Check the MTA site for fare information.
- Trains arrive at Grand Central Station (Park Avenue and 42nd Street) or Pennsylvania Station (7th Avenue and 34th Street).
- We recommend that you take a taxi from the train or bus stations if you are coming to Barnard for the first time.
- For more information: Amtrak, Metro-North(MNR) and Long Island Railroads(LIRR), NJ Transit
- The easiest way to reach Barnard College from the airport is by taxi. The average fare from LaGuardia (the closest airport to campus) is $35.00 plus bridge or tunnel tolls and tip. Total is about $50. Taxis depart from stands located outside the exits of major terminals. Make certain you get into a taxi that is being managed by the official taxi stands.
- Kennedy Airport has a flat fare of $52.00 to any single stop in Manhattan, with an additional charge of $4.50 during peak hours (4-8pm weekdays, excluding holidays). This does not include tolls and tip. Total is about $65.00-70.00
- Taxi service from Newark Airport into Manhattan totals about $80.00
- MetroCards can be purchased at any subway station.
- The fare is $2.75 per ride
- The #1 local train runs the north-south route from Riverdale to South Ferry and stops at Barnard & Columbia station at West 116th St and Broadway
- The #1 train also makes stops at Penn Station (at 34th St) and the Port Authority Bus Terminal (42nd St)
- From Grand Central Station, take the subway shuttle service (S train) to Times Square and transfer to the #1 uptown subway to 116th St.
- Note that the #2 and #3 express trains travel uptown to 96th St but you must transfer at 96th St for the #1 uptown local train (just across the platform)
- For more information: https://new.mta.info/
New York City is served by three major airports, LaGuardia, John F Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and Newark Liberty International Airport, and several small regional airports.
From LaGuardia Airport:
- The M60 Bus runs from LaGuardia Airport to Broadway, and stops at W116th Street (near the main gates of campus, which are at 117th St).
- Ask the bus driver to tell you when you reach this stop.
- This bus leaves LaGuardia every 30 minutes from 4:50am-1:00am
- The fare is $2.75 (Express bus fare is $6.75).
- The ride to campus is about 45-60 minutes, depending on traffic.
- The Gray Line Air shuttle provides bus service from LaGuardia to Grand Central Station and the Port Authority bus Terminal. The trip from Laguardia takes about 45-60 minutes, depending on traffic.
- AirTrain connects Newark Airport to NJ Transit, PATH and Amtrak
- New Jersey Transit buses leave from Newark Airport and arrive at Port Authority every 15 minutes.
- Take a taxi or subway from there.
- Olympia Trails provides bus service from Newark to Penn Station and the Port Authority Bus Terminal. The trip takes 45-60 minutes, depending on traffic.
From John F. Kennedy Airport:
- The AirTrain travels from the airport to Sutphin Boulevard / Jamaica station. From there you can either transfer directly to the subway via the E line traveling to the 42nd street subway station, or take the Long Island Rail Road into Penn Station.
- The Gray Line Air shuttle provides bus service from Kennedy Airport to Grand Central Station and the Port Authority bus Terminal. The trip from Kennedy takes about 45-60 minutes, depending on traffic.