Barnard College recognizes that some students choose to identify themselves by a First Name and/or Middle Name other than their Legal Name.
Under Barnard's Chosen Name policy, any student may choose to identify a Chosen First and/or Middle Name in addition to the Legal Name. Students may request this service using this form. All requests are reviewed by the Barnard Registrar's Office.
The student’s Chosen Name may be used in many Barnard College and Columbia University contexts, as described below. For some other records, also described below, the College and Columbia University are legally required to use a student’s Legal Name. However, whenever reasonably possible, a student’s “Chosen Name” will be used.
Whereas Barnard uses the language "Chosen" name, Columbia currently uses "Preferred" name. Barnard students' Chosen names will be automatically sent to Columbia for use in the contexts specified below. Barnard students do not need to submit a separate request to Columbia.
The Chosen Name will be used for:
- University ID card
- Class Rosters and Grading Rosters (myBarnard and SSOL)
- Courseworks discussion groups
- Barnard and Columbia Public Directories (unless the student has asked that information be blocked)
- Communications (for example, if Barnard sends mail to the student at the student’s home address, it will be addressed to the preferred name)
The legal name will be used for:
- Office of International and Intercultural Student Programs
- Office of Financial Aid
- Bursar’s Office
- Federal or State Requests for Information (including tax forms)
- National Student Clearinghouse
- Academic Certifications (of enrollment, good standing, degree completion)
- Athletics rosters
- Furman Counseling Center
- Primary Care Health Service
A student who wishes a change of legal name should follow the legal process for such a change and provide documentation to the Registrar’s Office.
If you wish to add a Chosen Name to your record, please complete the form.