Citizens Bank MasterCard
Citizens Bank Customer Service:
Barnard College Purchasing Department:
The Citizens Bank Purchasing Card should be generally used for purchases of $500 or less.
The Purchasing Card Procedures section is intended to provide Cardholders with information about the Barnard College Citizens Bank Purchasing Card (the “P-Card”) program and to familiarize them with their responsibilities as Cardholders. This purchasing card is accepted worldwide at any location that accepts either the traditional MasterCard or the MasterCard Purchasing Card. The Purchasing Card is very similar to a bank charge card or credit card. However the charges are paid directly by Barnard College.
Uses of the Purchasing Card
The P-Card is a charge card and must be used in such a manner that will ensure the security and safekeeping of the P-Card and its account number at all times. The Cardholder is responsible for keeping the P-Card secure on Barnard premises unless required to make off-site purchases.
The P-Card is the required method for the purchase of small dollar value ($500 or less) for miscellaneous expenses, materials and services. Exceptions will be made where vendors do not accept MasterCard. Types of commodities and services that can be charged are:
- business meals
- brochures, catalogs and price lists
- promotional supplies
- dues & memberships
- travel (when approved)
Internal procedures should be set up in each department so that proper authorization is given to make purchases.
Ensure that no New York State sales tax is charged. The College is exempt from New York State Sales and Use Tax. The College’s tax exemption number is printed on the back of the Citizens Bank Purchasing Card. You may also retrieve a copy of the tax exempt form from the Barnard Portal.
Restrictions of the Purchasing Card
The Purchasing Card is for official business use only. It may not be used for personal purchases. In addition, the P-Card CANNOT be used to purchase the following items:
- Cash advances or cash awards including honorariums
- Construction or remodeling
- Furniture/Equipment (such as tablets, laptops, desks or chairs)
- Employee benefits
- Personal purchases
- Service Contracts
- Special Services: Independent Contractors, performers, consultants, speakers
- Student tuition, scholarships or stipends
Additionally, personal credit cards/payment methods can not be used for the purchase of the above restricted goods/services and submitted for reimbursement.
Cardholders cannot split transactions into smaller amounts to avoid dollar limits placed on the P-Card. If you need to purchase an item above the per transaction limit, please contact the Purchasing Department for special consideration to temporarily increase the “per transaction” or monthly limits.
Please note that additional restrictions may be placed on expenses that are allocated to grant accounts.
P-Card privileges may be revoked, temporarily or permanently, by Barnard College if a Cardholder fails to comply with the Purchasing Card Procedures.
The Purchasing Card Process
Purchasing Cards can be issued to employees that have been assigned a general ledger account number. Applications can be obtained by contacting the Purchasing Department via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once an application is approved, the request will be processed and the new cardholder will be contacted to arrange card pick up and review session.
Cardholders are responsible for promptly reconciling charges posted to their card via the Centresuite website.
Occasionally, billing errors may occur. For example, you may be charged New York sales tax, or you may be charged for goods and services that you did not receive. Remember that, by law, suppliers may not bill you for purchases until your order is ready for shipment.
- If there is a suspected error with a legitimate charge, the Cardholder should contact the supplier. If the error is confirmed, the supplier should be instructed to issue a credit against the applicable P-Card account. This should be noted in the department’s Transaction log. (See Monthly Reconciliation) The credit should appear on the next monthly Citizens Bank MasterCard statement.
- If the Cardholder contacts a supplier and they are unable to reconcile a difference in a charged amount, the Purchasing Department should be contacted for assistance.
- If billing or returned item disputes cannot be resolved with the supplier within 30 days, the Cardholder must contact Citizens Bank MasterCard Customer Service at 1-888-333-0114 and follow the instructions they provide. Citizens Bank MasterCard will issue a temporary credit while the dispute is investigated.
On a monthly basis, the Cardholder will receive an individual P-Card statement.
Departments will verify charges, assign account numbers, appropriate object codes and business purpose for each charge on the Citizens Bank CentreSuite website. Departments should sign and retain the monthly statement, a copy of the transaction log, and original receipts. Departments are responsible for returns and exchanges and following through on appropriate credits. The Purchasing Department should be notified of returns and pending credits.
Keep track of your purchases throughout the month by reviewing and updating your current month transactions on the CentreSuite website.
Detailed instructions on how to reconcile your monthly transactions using the CentreSuite website for SINGLE cardholder/users and for MULTIPLE cardholder/users.
Departments should retain the following records:
- Copies of original Monthly Statement.
- Copies of completed Transaction Log.
- All original receipts and other supporting documentation.
- If any charge is paid for by the Provost Office, an additional approval and coding is required by a representative of the Provost’s Office. If the appropriate Provost approval is not obtained before the required deadline, the individual department will be charged.
All Cardholder’s charges must be reconciled no later than 5pm on the 5th business days after the end date of the billing cycle. Records should be kept for 7 years at the Cardholder's location.
Purchasing will perform the following procedures on a monthly basis:
- Receive and process monthly purchasing card billing statement for payment and input to general ledger.
- Perform post-audits of purchasing card transaction activity to ensure proper adherence to the policies of the College.
- The purchasing card billing system is a single bill/central pay arrangement. Although each individual Cardholder receives a monthly account statement, payment is centrally executed by Accounts Payable. The grand total of all charges with supporting detail by Cardholder account is paid to Citizens Bank within 14 days following the close of the billing cycle.
Accounts Payable will retain statements for seven years.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Cardholder
- Cardholders warrant and agree that the Purchasing Card shall be used only for related business purposes within the Cardholder's authorized level and for approved budgeted expenditures.
- The Cardholder is responsible for all purchases made with the card.
- The Cardholder is responsible for ensuring proper credit appears on the Cardholder’s statement for the return of merchandise, and initiating and handling any and all disputes with suppliers.
- The Cardholder will be responsible for maintaining receipts and reconciling those receipts to the monthly statement, as well as maintaining a transaction log. Records should be kept for 7 years at the Cardholder's location.
- The Cardholder is responsible for notifying the supplier that Barnard College is tax exempt.
Lost or Stolen Cards
- The Cardholder is to report the loss/theft of their card (or account number) immediately to Citizens Bank Customer Service 1-888-356-8378.
- After Citizens Bank has been contacted, the Cardholder must then advise the Purchasing Department. In addition, the Cardholder must provide and sign a brief narrative on circumstances to the Purchasing Department.
- Upon notification to Citizens Bank of a lost or stolen card, further use of the card will be blocked. Prompt action in these circumstances can reduce the College’s liability for fraudulent charges.
- Citizens Bank will replace the card within 7 business days.
How to Cancel a Card
- In the event that the Cardholder’s employment is terminated, the department must initiate cancellation of the Cardholder account. Purchasing Card accounts cannot be reassigned from one employee to another.
- The Purchasing Department should be contacted immediately and the P-Card should be cut in half and returned to the Purchasing Department.