Spring Room Changes
Friday, January 24, 2020
- Room Change Request form will be available on the Housing Portal
Wednesday, January 29, 2020
- Deadline to request a Disability Housing Accommodation as part of a room change
Note: you must also submit a Room Change Request on the Housing Portal.
Monday, February 3, 2020, 9am
- 9am Deadline to submit Room Change Request forms on the Housing Portal
- extended from original deadline of 4pm Friday, January 21, 2020
Wednesday, February 5, 2020
- Room Change Request results will be emailed to students by 11pm
Friday, February 7, 2020
- Sign for new room keys (if granted a room change) between 9am-5pm at the Res Life office
- Start moving in cooperation with the person vacating the new room (if applicable) and the person replacing you in your old room (if applicable)
Sunday, February 9, 2020
- Complete room change (if granted)
- Turn in old room key to the Sulzberger Front Desk
Spring Room Change Request Form (on the Housing Portal)
Students will rank preferences for building & room type combinations they'd be willing to move to on the request form.
- Requests are prioritized by class year; however, room changes cannot be guaranteed.
- Students may request specific spaces; however, changes to specific spaces cannot be guaranteed.
Typically few if any vacancies are available (especially in single rooms). Students are encouraged to also look for Room Swaps.
- Student may both request request a room change and look for a swap; however, if you are granted a room change you must move to the new assigned room and cannot swap using your original room assignment.
This process is for Barnard Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors only.
- First-year students who may be experiencing challenges with their room / roommate assignments should speak to their RA and/or the Associate Director in charge of the Quad
- Columbia University students living in Barnard residence halls are not eligible to participate in this process and there is no switching permitted between BC-designated and CU-designated spaces (please consult CU Housing for information about room change requests for CU students).
Students who submit a Room Change Request form are obligated to inform their roommate(s) / suitemates(s) of their request, in order to give them an opportunity to either submit a Room Change Request form of their own or try to recruit a new roommate/suitemate.
Students who may need a housing accommodation should submit a Disability Accommodation Request (in addition to the room change request form).
- Priority deadline for accommodation requests is Wednesday before the Room Change Request deadline (see Timeline above).
- Accommodation requests submitted after that date would be considered on space available basis.
Room Change Requests may be edited on the Portal through the submission deadline. If you wish to cancel your request, you must email email@example.com to do so before the submission deadline.
Students will be emailed the result of their request by the date/time listed in the Timeline section above.
While the College will attempt to provide new room assignments for as many students as possible, room changes are not guaranteed. Students who are not able to receive a room change are encouraged to look for Room Swaps.
Granted room changes are FINAL and BINDING. Students who are granted a room change MUST complete the move, as other room changes will be dependent upon the spaces that will be vacated.
Students who receive a room change will need to sign for their new room keys following the Timeline above.
Students will be given a special blue Room Change envelope to use to turn in their old room keys to the Sulzberger Front Desk (by the date/time listed in the Timeline above).
Students will be responsible for coordinating their move (if applicable) with both the person moving out of the newly assigned space and/or the person moving into the space they vacate (names & email addresses will be provided).
Students will be responsible for leaving their old room in a clean condition. Because students will be moving at the same time, the College will not be able to clean rooms between occupancy.