2019 Spring Room Changes

Online Process

Can I submit both a Room Change Form and Look for a Room Swap?
Yes!  You can submit a room change form and also look for a room swap on the Housing Portal. However, if you are granted a room change you must move to the new assigned room and cannot swap using your original room assignment.

Important Dates

Friday, January 25, 2019 Room Change Request form will be available on the Housing Portal
Friday, February 1, 2019, 4pm Deadline to submit Room Change Request forms on the Housing Portal
Wednesday, February 6, 2019, 11pm Room Change Request results will be emailed to students
Friday, Feburary 8, 2019, 9am If a room change is granted, you may begin moving to into your new room in cooperation with the person vacating the room (if applicable) and the person replacing you in your old room (if applicable).  Keys will be available to pick up between 9am-5pm at the RL&H Office
Sunday, February 10, 2018, 11pm If a room change is granted, you must have completed your move and returned your old room keys using the Room Change envelope provided to you when you picked up your new room keys


Room Change Request Process

This process is for Barnard Sophomore, Junior, and Senior students only (first-year students who may be experiencing difficulties with their roommate(s) should speak to their RA and/or may look for a room swap).  Columbia University students living in Barnard residence halls are not eligible to participate in this process and there is no switching permitted between BC-designated and CU-designated spaces (please consult CU Housing for information about room changes for CU students).

Students who submit a Room Change Request form are obligated to inform their roommate(s) / suitemates(s) of their request, in order to give them an opportunity to either submit a Room Change Request form of their own or try to recruit a new roommate/suitemate.

Students who may need some form of housing accommodation related to a diagnosed disability or medical condition as part of their room change request should additionally contact the Office of Disability Services to complete a Disability-Housing Request (DHR) no later than Wednesday, January 30, 2019. More information about submitting requests is available at http://barnard.edu/reslife/disability.

Room Change Requests may be edited or cancelled on the Portal through the submission deadline. 

While Residential Life & Housing will endeavor to provide as many room changes as possible, students who submit a request are not guaranteed to receive a room change (i.e. it depends on the availability of space matching a student's preferences).

Room Change decisions are final and binding. Students granted a room change or swap forfeit their previous assignment and must complete the move to their newly assigned room, as other room changes will be dependent upon the spaces that will be vacated.  Students will be responsible for coordinating their move (if applicable) with both the person moving out of the newly assigned space and/or the person moving into the space they vacate (names & email addresses will be provided).  Students will be responsible for leaving their old room in a clean condition.  Because students receiving room changes will all be moving at the same time, students will need to accept their new space on an "as is" basis (i.e. the College will not be able to clean the rooms between occupancy).


Room Change Requests

On the Room Change Request form, students will provided rank ordered preferences for building & room type combinations.

Students may also request to move into a specific vacancy; however, requesting a specific vacancy does not guarantee that a student would receive a room change to that space (as requests as prioritized by class year).

Please note that there are typically few vacancies available. This means that room changes are typically only available for students students whose room change request preferences are complementary and allow the College to switch them between spaces. While Residential Life & Housing tries to prioritize requests by class year, the more flexible a student can be with the preferences for the type of room they'd be willing to receive a room change to and the type of space they're currently occupying (which may match up with room change requests from other students) has the most impact on the likelihood of receiving a room change. However, students should only preference spaces they would accept room changes to, as they will be required to move if granted a room change to a space that matches their request preferences.

Unfortunately the College cannot guarantee that students will receive a room change through this process, as there are limited quantities of each room type and capacity in each residence hall. Students are also encouraged to look for Room Swaps on the Housing Portal.


Room Swap Requests

For information about Room Swap Requests, see https://barnard.edu/reslife/roomswaps.


Frequently Asked Questions

If you have any questions, please contact housing@barnard.edu or stop by the Residential Life & Housing office (110 Sulzberger).