Applications & Assignments
Apply for Housing
Housing Application (will need to log in with your Columbia UNI)
The application is typically available starting in mid-May for the upcoming academic year. FY students admitted through Early Decision will wait to fill out the housing application with Regular Decision students starting in Mid-May.
The BCIT Student Computing Office will start to email students instructions for activating their Barnard & Columbia login accounts in mid-to-late May. Applications are not sorted by submission date, so there is no need to worry if you have not yet received your activation instructions.
- Fall enrolling FYs -- June 6, 2022
- Fall enrolling Transfers, & Visiting students -- June 13, 2022
- Spring enrolling VISP students -- December 1, 2022
- Spring enrolling Transfer & other Visiting students -- TBA
- Enrolling First Year students are guaranteed campus housing if they submit their housing application by the deadline above.
- Students who apply for housing after the deadline are not guaranteed assignments.
- Students are not required to live in campus housing but they are encouraged to live on campus for their first year to acclimate themselves to the College and/or living in NYC.
VISP Program & Spelman Exchange
- Students in the VISP program and Spelman exchange are required to live in campus housing as part of their program.
Transfer & Visiting Students
- While the College's hope is always is to provide housing to as many applicants as possible, space in campus housing is limited and unfortunately cannot be guaranteed for Transfer students (during their first or following years at the College).
- As incoming Transfers, students who apply for housing are prioritized by a combination of enrollment deposit date and geographic distance from campus.
- The College will typically know by early August (or late December) how many Transfers can be assigned to campus housing. If students are not able to be assigned, they can remain on a Wait List in case any additional space opens up for the semester.
- Because housing is not guaranteed, Transfers are encouraged to explore options for off-campus housing. Some links to help students start their search are available at barnard.edu/reslife/housing-options/off-campus.
- In order to provide housing priority for new Transfers in their first academic year at the College, continuing students are unfortunately not eligible to participate in the Room Selection / Housing Lottery process. However, they are welcome to apply for housing when the application opens on the Portal (see "Students not eligible for the Room Selection process" at the bottom of the Applications webpage).
Students are not required to live in campus housing.
Incoming First Year students are encouraged to live in campus housing for at least their first year to acclimate themselves to the College and/or living in NYC.
Students with a diagnosed disability or chronic medical condition who may need an accommodation (ex. air-conditioning, accessible housing, strobe fire alarm, etc.) should contract CARDS to complete a Housing Accommodation Request, in addition to submitting a Housing Application.
For information about how to submit an accommodation request (including deadlines & required medical documentation), please visit barnard.edu/disability-services/housing-accommodations.
Room and Roommate Assignments
First Year students are assigned to double-, triple-, or quad-occupancy rooms in Brooks, Reid, Hewitt, and Sulzberger Halls. A limited number of single rooms are available and may be requested on the Housing Application.
Students who may need priority for assignment to a single for a disability or medical condition (or other type of accommodation) should submit a Housing Accommodation Request to CARDS (Center for Accessibility Resources & Disability Services). Please see the section above for more information about submitting requests, including the deadline..
All First Years living in campus housing are required to participate in the Platinum Meal Plan.
Enrolling First Year students will be emailed with their room & roommate assignments on Monday, August 8, 2022.
The First Year Focus (FYF) Program at Barnard is an extended orientation program for First Year students that continues throughout the year. It combines academic and co-curricular activities to assist First Year students in adjusting to college life, Barnard, and New York City. Entertaining and informative activities and workshops, ranging from informal weekly programs to larger formal events, are organized in the residence halls especially for First Year students.
Students will be emailed regarding the availability of campus housing starting in early August (early January for new students in the Spring).
Because housing is limited and cannot be guaranteed, students are encouraged to explore options for off-campus housing in the event that campus housing is not available.
Students may apply to live in single- or multiple-occupancy rooms. Due to the limited number of singles available in campus housing, applicants should anticipate being assigned to live with one or more roommates if space is available for them in campus housing.