Applications & Assignments
Apply for Housing
Online Housing Application (will need to log in with your Columbia UNI)
The application is typically available starting in mid-May for the upcoming academic year. FY students admitted through Early Decision will wait to fill out the housing application with Regular Decision students starting in Mid-May.
The Student Computing Office will email students instructions for activating their Barnard & Columbia login accounts after enrollment is confirmed (it can take a week or more for accounts to be generated after you deposit). Applications are not sorted by submission date, so there is no need to worry if you have not yet received your account info to log in and submit the housing application!
- Fall enrolling FYs -- June 6, 2019
- Fall enrolling Transfers, & Visiting students -- June 13, 2019
- Spring enrolling VISP students -- November 15, 2019
- Spring enrolling Transfer & other Visiting students -- December 20, 2019
- Enrolling First Year students are guaranteed campus housing if they submit their housing application by the deadline above.
- Students who apply for housing after the deadline are not guaranteed assignment.
VISP Program & Spelman Exchange
- Students in the VISP program and Spelman exchange are required to apply & live in campus housing.
Transfer & Visiting Students
- The College will make every effort to provide housing if possible; however, housing is not guaranteed for new transfer & visiting students.
- Students are prioritized by a combination of deposit date & geographic distance from campus.
Any student with a diagnosed disability or chronic medical condition who may need an accommodation (ex. air-conditioning, accessible housing, strobe fire alarm, etc.) should contract CARDS to complete a Housing Accommodation Request, in addition to submitting a Housing Application.
Room and Roommate Assignments
First Year students are typically assigned to double-, triple-, or quad-occupancy rooms in Brooks, Reid, or Sulzberger Halls.
All First Years living in campus housing are required to participate in the Platinum Meal Plan (First Year commuters are required to enroll at minimum in the Convenience Meal Plan).
Enrolling First Year students will be emailed with their room & roommate assignments on Tuesday, August 6, 2019. No information regarding room assignments and/or roommates will be available before the times noted above.
The First Year Focus (FYF) Program at Barnard is an extended orientation program for first-year students that continues throughout the year. It combines academic and co-curricular activities to assist first-year students in adjusting to college life, Barnard, and New York City. Entertaining and informative activities and workshops, ranging from informal weekly programs to larger formal events, are organized in the residence halls especially for first-year students.
Students may apply to live in single- or multiple-occupancy rooms; however, the number of singles and/or rooms not requiring participation in the Quad Upperclass Meal Plan is typically limited.
Students are encouraged to explore options for off-campus housing in the event that campus housing is not available.
Students will be emailed regarding the availability of campus housing starting in early August (early January for new students in the Spring).