Institutional Research and Assessment
The Office of Institutional Research and Assessment provides data and analysis to support the planning and evaluation of initiatives within the College.
Common Data Set
The Common Data Set is a collaboration between institutions and publishers that compiles standarized data points. The data elements included and their definitions are maintained by the Common Data Set Initiative.
Qualtrics at Barnard
Qualtrics is a survey service platform available to the Barnard community. Use it to administer surveys, forms, evaluations, and other data collection activities.
Under our license, Qualtrics is available to students, faculty, staff, and affiliates with an active Barnard login.
Why using Qualtrics?
- You can quickly create simple surveys or forms.
- You can also customize it to create logic-based workflows.
- You have access to customizable reports.
- Qualtrics is a mobile-friendly system.
- You can collaborate with other users in the Barnard community.
- Visit https://barnard.az1.qualtrics.com/ to create an account (use your Barnard login credentials)
- You can follow the Qualtrics survey administration tips
- Learn how to use Qualtrics using the Qualtrics Help Guide
- Need support? You can contact Qualtrics research support and/or their helpline at 1-800-340-9194.
Using Qualtrics and best practices
- Qualtrics use is restricted to academic or research purposes. Qualtrics cannot be used for commercial purposes or for external corporations.
- Do not request regulated information using Qualtrics.
- If you are collecting confidential information, make sure you have the appropriate approval either via Barnard's IRB or consult with the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment.
- Accurately reflect your affiliation when you are sending out a survey. Only send surveys on behalf of a group if you are an authorized representative or have permission from the group as part of your affiliation. For example, if you send a survey on behalf of a committee, academic unit or administrative department make sure to say that.
- Make sure you let your participants know if your survey is confidential and/or anonymous. If your survey is not anonymous and participants will be identified, make sure you explicitly request that information within your survey (i.e. an item on the survey) to avoid giving participants the impression that the survey is anonymous.
The Office of Institutional Research and Assessment (IR&A)
- provides timely, accurate, and unbiased data and analysis to support strategic planning and organizational effectiveness initiatives of the College
- meets external reporting obligations.
- provides guidance and support to faculty, administrators, and the board for assessment of student learning and institutional effectiveness.
- advocates for the quality, integrity, and appropriate use of College data
Institutional Research Data Analyst
Institutional Research Assessment Analyst
The Office of Institutional Research and Assessment adheres to the Code of Ethics and Professional Practice of the Association of Institutional Research.