The following items are prohibited in ALL Barnard-owned and -operated residence halls.
Mail Services will contact The Residential Life & Housing Office and any prohibited items will be returned to sender.
As noted in The Residential Life & Housing Residence Hall Handbook, this partial list of prohibited items include:
- Air conditioners (both window and portable units), evaporative coolers, heating/cooling pads (Only USB-powered desktop Mini Cooler / Humidifier units are permitted (example))
- Any non-College-provided furniture and/or mattresses (for permitted exceptions, please visit Community Policies).
- Halogen lamps
- Hot plate, induction cooktop (ex. NuWave), open coil heaters, toaster, "air fryers," or toaster oven
- Warming trays
- Pressure cookers / instant pots
- Deep fryers
- "Microfridges" (only mini-fridges without an attached microwave are permitted)
- Mini-fridges larger than 3.5 cubic feet.
- Space heaters
The following items are only allowed in Apartment-Style Suite style kitchens and may not be used in bedrooms or in the Quad or Elliott kitchenettes:
- Microwaves or "Micro-Fridges" (with attached microwaves)
- George Forman-style grills or panini makers (only if they have auto-shut-off)
- Crockpots & rice cookers (only if they have auto-shut-off)
The maximum size mini-fridge allowed in all residence halls is 3.5 cubic feet.
Delivery of Alcohol
Abridged from the Student Handbook:
Delivery of alcohol to individual students (regardless of age) or student groups at Barnard is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, the commercial delivery of alcohol to College residence halls or the delivery of alcohol to any student campus mail address.