With few exceptions, students may not remain in the residence halls after Winter Break starts. Unfortunately, the College cannot provide any check-out extensions (because the residence halls will be locked up for Winter Break starting that day).
During the break, College staff will check rooms to address maintenance issues & requests. Any prohibited items will be confiscated. Any windows stoppers or fire safety equipment that have been tampered with will result in fines & disciplinary action.
Note: The residence halls remain open for Fall, Thanksgiving, and Spring breaks; however, some campus services will be closed & unavailable during these time periods.
- Empty all trash cans. Take bagged trash and recycling to the designated area in your building
- Make sure all faucets, ovens, stoves, and appliances are turned off
- Clean fridges of food that may spoil over break. Throw out any open food that may attract mice or bugs. Wash any dirty dishes, pots, etc.
- Unplug, defrost, and leave the door open to mini fridges only
- Please leave suite kitchen refrigerators plugged in and closed
- Unplug all appliances (alarm clocks, lamps, TVs, computers, etc.) to save electricity. These items can use a lot of energy if left plugged in (even when turned off!)
- 110th St. & 121st St. residents should leave their FIOS router equipment plugged in
- Take any valuables or necessities with you (computer, jewelry, passport, medications, etc.). The res halls will be closed over break so you won't be able to retrieve anything you leave behind
- Turn off lights and lock all door & windows (and lower blinds to conserve heat!)
Students who will be not be returning to their Fall room for the Spring semester (graduating mid-year, Studying Abroad, taking a leave of absence, moving off-campus, or completing a Mid-Year Room Change) must completely vacate their rooms and check out no later than 9am on Friday, December 20, 2019. Extensions are not available.
In order to avoid improper check-out and key replacement fees, students must complete a check-out envelope (available from their residence hall Front Desk) and turn in their room keys. More Check-Out Info.
With very limited exceptions, students may not stay in campus housing past the Friday, December 20, 2019, closing deadline. Plimpton will be the only residence halls open for approved students during Winter Break.
The deadline to apply for Winter Break Housing is 4pm on Monday, December 2, 2019.
Permission for Winter Break Housing is not guaranteed and approval should not be assumed. Students should plan accordingly in case their request cannot be approved.
Students may apply for Early Winter Return, to return to housing starting 9am on Sunday, January 12, 2020 (i.e. prior to the official Spring opening reopening on Friday, January 17, 2020). The application deadline is 4pm on Friday, December 13, 2019.
Permission for Winter Early Return is not guaranteed and approval should not be assumed. Students should plan accordingly in case their request cannot be approved.