Barnard's residence halls close for Winter Break at 9am on Friday, December 23, 2022, and reopen at 9am on Saturday, January 14, 2023.
Fall 24-hour Exam Quiet Hours: 8pm Monday, December 12, through 5pm Thursday, December 22, 2022.
With few exceptions, students may not remain in the residence halls after Winter Break starts. The College is not able to provide any check-out extensions for students moving out of campus housing for the Spring.
Students continuing in the same room from Fall to Spring (i.e. did not receive a mid-year room change) may leave belongings in their room over the break. However, they should take anything they need with them because they will not be able to get into their rooms to retrieve any items over the break.
During the break, the College will check rooms to address maintenance issues & requests. Any prohibited items will be confiscated. Any windows stoppers or fire safety equipment that have been tampered with will result in fines & disciplinary action.
Note: The residence halls remain open for Fall, Thanksgiving, and Spring breaks; however, some campus services will be closed & unavailable during these time periods.
Before You Leave for Winter Break
- Empty all trash cans. Take bagged trash and recycling to the designated area in your building.
- Make sure all faucets, ovens, stoves, and appliances are turned off.
- Clean fridges of food that may spoil over break. Throw out any open food that may attract mice or bugs. Wash any dirty dishes, pots, etc.
- Unplug, defrost, and leave the door open to mini fridges only.
- Please leave suite kitchen refrigerators plugged in and closed.
- Unplug all appliances (alarm clocks, lamps, TVs, computers, etc.) to save electricity. These items can use a lot of energy if left plugged in (even when turned off!).
- 110th St. & 121st St. residents should leave their FIOS router equipment plugged in.
- Take any valuables or necessities with you (computer, jewelry, passport, medications, etc.). The residence halls will be closed & locked over break so you won't be able to retrieve anything you leave behind.
- Turn off lights and lock all door & windows (and lower blinds to conserve heat).
Students not returning to housing or completing Mid-Year Room Changes
Students who will be not be returning to their Fall room for the Spring semester (graduating mid-year, Studying Abroad, taking a leave of absence, moving off-campus, or completing a Mid-Year Room Change) must completely vacate their rooms and check out no later than 9am on Friday, December 23, 2022. Extensions are not available.
- Housing Cancellation Form (note: cancellation fees may apply)
- Check-Out instructions & information
In order to avoid improper check-out and key replacement fees, students must complete a check-out envelope (available from their residence hall Front Desk) to turn in their room keys and complete the "Confirm Check Out" form on the Housing Portal (Check-Out Info).
Early Winter Return (before January 14, 2023)
Students may request to return early to campus housing starting Sunday, January 8, 2023 (prior to the official Spring opening date on Saturday, January 14).
The request deadline is 4pm on Monday, December 12, 2022 (request form & more information).
Permission for Early Winter Return is not guaranteed and approval should not be assumed. Students should plan accordingly in case their request cannot be approved.
Winter Break Housing
Limited exceptions are available for students to stay on campus during the winter break.
The deadline to request Winter Break Housing is 4pm Friday, November 18, 2022 (request form & more information).