The 2021-2022 Housing Cancellation Policy is available at https://barnard.edu/reslife/2021-2022-cancellations.
For information about cancelling Summer Housing, please visit barnard.edu/reslife/summer-housing#Cancellations.
2022-23 Housing Cancellation Policy
The Housing Contract period covers from when a student signs the Housing Contract through when the residence halls close at the conclusion of their assignment period. To request a release from the financial obligation of the Housing Contract, a student must submit the Housing Cancellation form. Failure to occupy an assigned space does not constitute cancellation of the Housing Contract and all financial obligations remain.
A cancellation is not effective until all such applicable conditions below are satisfied:
- The Housing Cancellation Form has been submitted on the Housing Portal.
- The student fully vacates College housing along with their belongings.
- The student completes a check-out envelope at their residence hall front desk and returns all keys issued by the College.
- The student completes the Confirm Check Out form on the Housing Portal.
Students may be eligible for refunds on a term- or prorated-basis (after adjustment for any previously issued financial aid awards) and/or may be liable for a cancellation fee as outlined in the Fee Schedules below.
Students who are required to move out of College housing for reasons of academic or disciplinary dismissal will not be eligible for a refund and remain liable for housing charges.
Students who cancel during occupancy must vacate within 48 hours of submitting the Housing Cancellation form and/or taking a leave of absence from the College; otherwise, additional cancellation fees and/or disciplinary action may apply.
Impact on Financial Aid & Future Housing Eligibility
Students who receive aid and move off-campus will be repackaged as "Commuter" students, which may result in a decrease in their financial aid package. Students are encouraged to discuss with the Financial Aid office how their package may be affected before cancelling their application or room assignment.
Students who cancel housing* will no longer be eligible to participate in the Room Selection process to have a guarantee of housing; however, they may submit a housing application to be on the non-Guaranteed Wait List.
* Students who cancel to take part in an approved Study Abroad program (or Spelman Exchange) will remain eligible for the Room Selection process as long as they were previously eligible and complete their program without taking a leave of absence.
Appeals of Cancellation Fees
Students with extenuating circumstances may submit appeals requesting a waiver or reduction of cancellation charges by submitting a detailed written statement to email@example.com (for review by the Director for Residential Life & Housing). Students should include why they cancelled housing, the timing of the cancellation, and why they are requesting a waiver or reduction of the cancellation charge. All requests are considered on a case-by-case basis and waivers/reductions of the fee are not guaranteed. Note: appeals will only be considered after a student has submitted the housing cancellation form.
Fee Schedule: Cancellation Prior to Check-In
Students who participated in the 2022 Room Selection process
This includes students who are on the Guaranteed List to be assigned a room over the summer.
Cancellation Effective Date Moving Off-Campus Leave of Absence, Withdrawals, & Approved Fall Study Leave* Through May 5, 2022 No Cancellation Fee No Cancellation Fee May 6 - May 19, 2022 $200 $200 May 20 - June 2, 2022 $400 $400 June 3 - June 16, 2022 $600 $600 June 17 - June 30, 2022 $800 $800 July 1 - July 14, 2022 $1000 $1000 July 16 - July 28, 2022 $1200 $1200 July 29 - August 4, 2022 $1500 $1500 August 5 - August 11, 2022 50% of semester room rate $1500 August 12 until Check-In 100% of semester room rate $1500 After Check-In Please see "Cancellation After Check-In" section below
* Students accepted into an approved Study Leave program for the Fall after May 5, 2022, may avoid a cancellation fee by both cancelling housing and forwarding a dated copy of their acceptance form to firstname.lastname@example.org within 5 business days of their acceptance date.
Fall 2022 Applicants
This includes enrolling First Year, Transfer, & Visiting students; students return from a leave of absence, and continuing students who were not eligible for the 2022 Room Selection process.
- Students who apply without a guarantee (Transfers, students returning from leave, etc.) will not be subject to cancellation fees unless they are emailed a guarantee of assignment to campus housing (which may not include a specific room assignment at the time of guarantee).
- Students who participated in 2022 Room Selection and are on the Guaranteed List for assignment over the summer should refer to cancellation fee schedule above instead.
Cancellation Effective Date Cancellation for Any Reason Through July 28, 2022 No Cancellation Fee July 29 - August 4, 2022 $200 August 4 - August 11, 2022 $400 August 12 - August 18, 2022 $600 August 19 until Check-In $800 After Check-In Please see "Cancellation After Check-In" section below
Spring 2023 Applicants
Applies to students who applied for campus housing starting in Spring 2023 (i.e. not continuing from the Fall)
Cancellation Effective Date Cancellation for Any Reason Through December 23, 2022 No Cancellation Fee December 24 - December 30, 2022 $200 December 31 - January 6, 2023 $400 January 7, 2023 until Check-In $600 After Check-In Please see "Cancellation After Check-In" section below
Fee Schedule: Cancellation After Check-In
Applies after checking in, taking possession of College-issued room keys, and/or moving any belongings into campus housing.
Cancellation Fees applied during the Fall 2022 Semester
Cancellation Effective Date Moving Off-Campus Leave of Absence & Withdrawals Before 60% point in Fall Semester No refund of Fall room charge Prorated daily rent charge + $1500 cancellation fee After 60% point in Fall Semester No refund of Fall room charge + $1500 cancellation fee for Spring No refund of Fall room charge + $1500 cancellation fee for Spring
Cancellation Fees applied when cancelling for the Spring 2023 Semester
Applies to students in housing for Fall 2022 who cancel for Spring 2023. Students who cancel will need to move out before the residence halls close for Winter Break at 9am on Thursday, December 23, 2022.
Cancellation Effective Date Moving Off-Campus Leave of Absence & Withdrawals Mid-Year Graduation or Approved Spring Study Leave* Through December 1, 2022 $1500 $1200 No cancellation fee December 2 - December 9, 2022 50% of Spring room charge $1200 $1200 December 9, 2022 - end of Fall semester No refund of Spring housing charge $1500 $1500
* Students accepted into an approved Study Leave program for the Spring after December 1, 2022, may avoid a cancellation fee by both cancelling housing and forwarding a dated copy of their acceptance form to email@example.com within 5 business days of their acceptance date.
Cancellation Fees applied during the Spring 2023 Semester
Applies both to students continuing from Fall housing and students who moved in for the Spring.
Cancellation Effective Date Moving Off-Campus Leave of Absence & Withdrawals Before 60% point in Spring Semester No refund of Spring room charge Prorated daily rent charge + $1500 cancellation fee After 60% point in Spring Semester No refund of Spring room charge No refund of Spring room charge