- How to Cancel (Cancellation Form)
- Cancellation Policy
- Spring 2021 Cancellation Fees
- Impact on Future Housing Eligibility
- Fall 2020 Cancellations (113th Street)
- Log into the Housing Portal
- Click the SPRING HOUSING FORM link
- Then, click the CANCELLATION FORM link
- Fill out the cancellation form and provide the reason for your cancellation
- Sign the cancellation form with your UNI and submit.
The Housing Contract period covers from when a student signs the Housing Contract through when the residence halls close at the conclusion of their assignment period. To request a release from the financial obligation of the Housing Contract, a student must submit a Housing Cancellation form. Failure to occupy an assigned space does not constitute cancellation of the Housing Contract and all financial obligations remain.
A cancellation is not effective until all such applicable conditions below are satisfied:
- The Housing Cancellation Form has been received by the Residential Life & Housing office.
- If the student has moved in, they fully vacate College housing, including their belongings.
- The student completes a check-out envelope at their residence hall front desk and returns all keys issued by the College.
Students may be eligible for refunds on a term- or prorated-basis (after adjustment for any previously issued financial aid awards) and/or may be liable for cancellation fee as outlined in the Fee schedule below.
Students who are required to move out of College housing for reasons of academic or disciplinary dismissal will not be eligible for a refund and remain liable for housing charges.
Students who cancel during occupancy must vacate within 48 hours of submitting the Housing Cancellation form and/or taking a leave of absence from the College; otherwise, late cancellation fees and/or disciplinary action may apply.
|Cancellation Effective Date||Cancellation Fee|
|Through December 1, 2020||No charge|
|December 2 - December 15, 2020||$300 fee|
|December 16 - December 29, 2020||$600 fee|
|December 30, 2020 - January 10, 2021||$900 fee|
|January 11 - March 14, 2021||$1200 fee + a prorated daily amount|
|Starting March 15, 2021
(i.e. 60% of semester completed)
|No refund of Fall housing charge|
Cancelling for Spring 2021
Continuing students who were eligible for the 2020 Room Selection process (and new Fall 2020 First Year students) and who will be enrolled & living at home or off-campus during the 2020-2021 academic year will still be eligible to participate in the Room Selection process for the 2021-2022 academic year. However, students who take a leave of absence for the Fall 2020 and/or Spring 2021 semester will not be eligible to take part in the 2021 Room Selection process.
Other students (including Transfers, commuters, and students who take a leave of absence) may apply for campus housing for the 2021-2022 academic year, but will not be eligible for the Room Selection process. Please note that while the College is always hopeful to provide housing to as many applicants as possible, housing cannot be guaranteed for students who are not eligible for the Room Selection process.
Cancelling for Fall 2021 and Beyond
Room Selection eligibility policies will revert to normal starting for cancellations submitted for Fall 2021 housing. Students are only eligible to take part in Room Selection for the following academic year if they are living in campus housing for the Spring semester or were living in campus housing immediately prior to participation in an approved Study Abroad program during the Spring for which the student is paying Barnard tuition.
Students who cancel housing to move off-campus or take a leave of absence will no longer be eligible to participate in the Room Selection process.
Barnard students approved to live in Columbia Housing for Fall 2020 who wish to cancel must submit both the Barnard Housing Cancellation form linked below and the Columbia Housing Cancellation Form.
- Barnard Housing Cancellation Form (PDF)
- Submitted forms must have a handwritten, not typed, signature. If you do not have access to a scanner or fax, you can use a website like http://pdfescape.com to fill in the PDF form electronically (there are also lots of iPhone & Android apps that can do this) and then email it to firstname.lastname@example.org as an attachment.
Cancellation fees will be assessed as follows. Note: the cancellation date is not effective until both the BC & CU Cancellation Forms have been submitted and a student has fully vacated campus housing.
- 8/10 – 8/30, cancellation fee of $350
- 8/31 – 9/30, cancellation fee of $500
- 10/1 – 10/30, cancellation fee of $1,000
- After 10/30, no refunds will be issued upon cancellation.