2023-24 Housing Cancellation Policy
Cancellation Fees Prior to Check-In | Cancellation Fees After Check-In | Impact on Financial Aid & Future Housing Guarantee | Appeals of Cancellation Fees
The Housing Contract period covers from when a student signs the Housing Contract through when the residence halls close at the conclusion of their assignment period. To request a release from the financial obligation of the Housing Contract, a student must submit the Housing Cancellation form. Failure to occupy an assigned space does not constitute cancellation of the Housing Contract and all financial obligations remain.
A cancellation is not effective until all such applicable conditions below are satisfied:
- The Housing Cancellation Form has been submitted on the Housing Portal.
- If currently living in campus housing for the cancelled period, the student must:
- Fully vacate College housing along with their belongings.
- Submit a check-out envelope at their residence hall front desk and returns all keys issued by the College.
- Complete the Confirm Check Out form on the Housing Portal.
Students may be eligible for refunds on a term- or prorated basis (after adjustment for any previously issued financial aid awards) and/or may be liable for a cancellation fee as outlined in the Fee Schedules below. Students are responsible for paying cancellation fees even if they are taking a leave of absence or transferring to another school.
Students who are required to move out of College housing for reasons of academic or disciplinary dismissal will not be eligible for a refund and remain liable for housing charges.
Students who cancel during occupancy must vacate within 48 hours* of submitting the Housing Cancellation form and/or taking a leave of absence from the College; otherwise, additional cancellation fees and/or disciplinary action may apply. * Students submitting the cancellation form in the Fall to cancel for the Spring will need to move out before the residence halls close for Winter Break (9am, Friday, December 22, 2023).
Fee Schedule: Cancellation Prior to Check-In
Students who participated in the 2023 Room Selection process
This includes students who are on the Guaranteed List to be assigned a room over the summer.
Cancellation Effective Date Moving Off-Campus Leave of Absence, Withdrawals, & Approved Fall Study Leave* Through May 4, 2023 No Cancellation Fee No Cancellation Fee May 5 - May 18, 2023 $200 $200 May 19 - June 1, 2023 $400 $400 June 2 - June 15, 2023 $600 $600 June 16 - June 29, 2023 $800 $800 June 30 - July 13, 2023 $1000 $1000 July 14 - July 27, 2023 $1200 $1200 July 28 - August 3, 2023 $1500 $1500 August 4 - August 10, 2023 50% of semester room rate $1500 August 11, 2023 until Check-In 100% of semester room rate $1500 After Check-In Please see "Cancellation After Check-In" section below
* Students accepted into an approved Study Leave program for the Fall after May 4, 2023, may avoid a cancellation fee by cancelling & forwarding a dated copy of their acceptance form to firstname.lastname@example.org within 5 business days of their acceptance date.
Fall 2023 Applicants
This includes enrolling First Year, Transfer, & Visiting students; students return from a leave of absence, and continuing students who were not eligible for the 2023 Room Selection process.
- Students who apply without a guarantee (Transfers, students returning from leave, etc.) will not be subject to cancellation fees unless they are emailed a guarantee of assignment to campus housing (which may not include a specific room assignment at the time of guarantee).
- Students who participated in 2023 Room Selection and are on the Guaranteed List for assignment over the summer should refer to cancellation fee schedule above instead.
Cancellation Effective Date Cancellation for Any Reason Through June 15, 2023 No Cancellation Fee June 16 - June 29, 2023 $200 June 30 - July 13, 2023 $400 July 14 - July 27, 2023 $600 July 28 - August 3, 2023 $800 August 4 - August 10, 2023 $1000 August 11 - August 17, 2023 $1200 August 18, 2023 until Check-In $1500 After Check-In Please see "Cancellation After Check-In" section below
Spring 2024 Applicants
i.e. students applying for campus housing starting in Spring 2023 (i.e. not continuing from the Fall semester)
Cancellation Effective Date Cancellation for Any Reason Through December 22, 2023 No Cancellation Fee December 23 - December 29, 2023 $200 December 30 - January 5, 2024 $400 January 6, 2024 until Check-In $600 After Check-In Please see "Cancellation After Check-In" section below
Fee Schedule: Cancellation After Check-In
Applies after checking in, taking possession of College-issued room keys, and/or moving any belongings into campus housing.
Cancellation Fees applied during the Fall 2023 Semester
Cancellation Effective Date Moving Off-Campus Leave of Absence & Withdrawals Before 60% point in Fall Semester No refund of Fall room charge Prorated daily rent charge + $1500 cancellation fee After 60% point in Fall Semester No refund of Fall room charge + $1500 cancellation fee for Spring No refund of Fall room charge + $1500 cancellation fee for Spring
Cancellation Fees applied when cancelling for the Spring 2024 Semester
Applies to students in campus housing for Fall 2023 who cancel for Spring 2024. Students who cancel will need to move out before the residence halls close for Winter Break at 9am on Thursday, December 22, 2023.
Cancellation Effective Date Moving Off-Campus Leave of Absence & Withdrawals Mid-Year Graduation or Approved Spring Study Leave* Through December 1, 2023 $1500 $1200 No cancellation fee December 2 - December 8, 2023 50% of Spring room charge $1200 $1200 December 9, 2023 - end of Fall semester No refund of Spring housing charge $1500 $1500
* Students accepted into an approved Study Leave program for the Spring after December 1, 2023, may avoid a cancellation fee by cancelling and forwarding a dated copy of their acceptance form to email@example.com within 5 business days of their acceptance date.
Cancellation Fees applied during the Spring 2024 Semester
Applies both to students continuing from Fall housing and students who moved in for the Spring.
Cancellation Effective Date Moving Off-Campus Leave of Absence & Withdrawals Before 60% point in Spring Semester No refund of Spring room charge Prorated daily rent charge + $1500 cancellation fee After 60% point in Spring Semester No refund of Spring room charge No refund of Spring room charge
Impact on Financial Aid & Housing Guarantee
Students who receive aid and move off-campus will be repackaged as "Non-residential / Commuter" students, which may result in a change to their financial aid package. Students are encouraged to discuss with the Financial Aid office how their package could be affected before cancelling their application or room assignment.
Students who started at the College as First Year students who cancel housing* will no longer be eligible to participate in the Room Selection process to have a guarantee of housing; however, they may submit a housing application to be on the non-Guaranteed Wait List.
* Students who cancel to take part in an approved Study Abroad program (or Spelman Exchange) will remain eligible for the Room Selection process as long as they were previously eligible, complete their program without taking a leave of absence, and move back into campus housing for the following semester.
Appeals of Cancellation Fees
How to appeal the cancellation fee
Students with extenuating circumstances may submit appeals requesting a waiver or reduction of cancellation charges by submitting a detailed written statement to firstname.lastname@example.org (for review by the Director for Residential Life & Housing). Students should include why they cancelled housing, the timing of the cancellation, and why they are requesting a waiver or reduction of the cancellation charge. All requests are considered on a case-by-case basis and waivers/reductions of the fee are not guaranteed. Note: appeals will only be considered after a student has submitted the housing cancellation form.