Check Out Deadlines
- 9am Thursday, December 23, 2021
- Applies both to students who aren't returning for the Spring and who are doing mid-year room changes.
Extensions are not available.
- Students are expected to move out within 24 hours of their last scheduled exam or by no later than 5pm on Friday, May 13, 2022; whichever comes first.
Students who apply for Summer Housing may additionally apply for May Interim housing to bridge between the end of the Spring and the start of the Summer. Other students may receive programatic extensions due to working at graduation, etc.
- 10am on Thursday, May 19, 2022 (students must be confirmed as taking part in Commencement)
How to Check Out from Your Room
2 steps for checking out!
When students move out of their room, they must complete BOTH steps below to officially check out:
- Turn in a CHECK-OUT ENVELOPE at your residence hall Front Desk
- Don't forget to write your name and room number on the envelope!
- Please turn in an envelope even if you lost the key(s) to your room.
- Submit the CONFIRM CHECK-OUT FORM (log into Housing Portal or scan QR code at Front Desk) to confirm your departure from campus.
Failure to submit the Check-Out Envelope and/or online Form by the move-out deadline will result in a minimum $100 Improper Check-Out Fee. Missing keys will result in a $100 per key replacement charge. Students who fail to move out by their check-out deadline will be subject to escalating fines (starting at $100) and disciplinary action.
Planning for your Move Out
24-hour Quiet Hour Period
The reading days and exam week are a 24-Hour Quiet Hour period:
- Starts: 8pm Monday, May 2, 2022
- Ends: 5pm Thursday, May 12, 2022
Preparing to Move Out
- Plan with your suitemates who will clean what & when. Students are expected to clean their bedrooms, bathrooms, and kitchens.
- Start packing in advance! Don’t forget to check all your drawers, closets, etc.
- Don’t wait until the last minute to check out! Elevators, carts, & street parking will be limited.
- Information about any check-out or damage charges will be sent to your Barnard email account after move-out. If you will not be checking that account over the summer, please set up your email to forward to any account that you will be checking.
Summer Storage Off-Campus
Unfortunately there is no storage space available on campus, but many vendors offer fee-based summer storage services to students. Students are responsible for negotiating rates, dates, and details with their selected vendor.
Donating Items (Give & Go Green)
The Barnard Campus Sustainability and Climate Action office is sponsoring an opportunity for students to donate items when moving out. All collected items are donated to local non-profit organizations such as Gradbag or stored over the summer for resale at the NSOP Green Sale. Items that can’t be rehomed but are recyclable are diverted from landfill.
From May 9 to May 19, items can be dropped off at the locations below. Please click the link to make a drop-off appointment. Note: items may not be left outside of collections times (and items may not be dropped off in residence hall lobbies or lounges).
What can students donate for reuse or donation?
- Bedding and linens
- School/office supplies
- Dry and Clean Mini Fridges
- Dry and Clean Kitchen Gear
- Storage bins
- Dorm decor
- Drying racks, irons, steamers
- Hangers, closet organizers, shoe racks
- Clothing, shoes, accessories
- Unopened, non-perishable foods
- Unopened, personal care products
- Cleaning Supplies
What can I donate for recycling?
- Foam mattress pads
- E-waste, printer cartridges, batteries
Looking to find new homes for your items yourself? Check out Rheaply, our online platform designed to facilitate the exchange of items among the Barnard Community.
Move Out Assistance / Guest Access to the Residence Halls
As a reminder, only BC/CU ID holders are currently able to be signed in as guests to the residence halls (guest policy and limitations).
Starting May 3, students can have one (1) non-affiliate individual helper (ex. a family member) register to provide support moving out of the residence halls.
- The Helper must submit the Residential Move Out Assistance Form (no earlier than 3 hours before arrival) prior to entering the residence hall with their host, in order to fulfil the Barnard Health Screening process.
- The student Host must meet their Helper in the lobby for sign-in and is required to remain with the Helper at all times.
- The Helper must wear a mask at all times over their nose and mouth while indoors, regardless of vaccination status.
- The Helper will only be allowed in the residence hall of the student they are assisting.
- Helper sign-in will be permitted daily between 8am-8pm only. Helpers may not stay overnight in the residence halls.
- Students who have a need for additional move out assistance may submit a request through CARDS@barnard.edu (to request a disability accommodation).
A limited number of carts will be available for check-out from the front desk of each residence hall. A photo ID is required to borrow a cart for one hour. Student are encouraged to bring their own cart, hand truck, or dolly if possible.
Please do not leave any cars double parked without someone in it. Unattended and/or double parked cars block others from accessing the buildings and may be ticketed or towed by NYPD.
Cleaning & Damage Charges
Students are responsible for returning their room to the same condition it was in when they moved in (including cleaning their room and/or moving furniture back to the original positions). Residential Life & Housing staff will inspect rooms after check-out.
Students will be assessed charges for any cleaning and/or repair of damages required. Any cleaning or damage charges that cannot be attributable to one roommate and/or suitemate will be shared among all roommates and/or suitemates.
Students who are assessed cleaning and/or damage charges will be contacted via their Barnard email during the summer to provide them with the amount & description. Students will have a deadline, communicated in the email, by which they may submit any appeals. Students are responsible for checking their Barnard email and/or forwarding their mail to an account that they do check over the summer.
Mail Forwarding (or Keeping Your Mailbox Open Over the Summer)
Leaving campus for the summer? Remember to change any automatic shipments, deliveries and your default shipping address! Note: Mail Services is unable to forward packages or international mail.
Staying on campus this summer? Request to keep your Mail Services mailbox open to receive mail and packages during the summer by completing this form (before May 13).
All student mailboxes will be closed for the summer unless notified otherwise by Friday, May 13. Questions? Email email@example.com.