Check Out Deadlines
- 9am Friday, December 23, 2022
- This applies both to students who aren't returning for the Spring and who are doing mid-year room changes.
Extensions are not available (because the res halls will be closed for winter break).
Students not returning to campus housing for the Spring should submit the Housing Cancellation Form as soon as possible (cancellation fees may apply).
Note: students who are continuing in the same room from Fall to Spring may leave belongings in their room over winter break; however, they should take anything they need with them as students will not be able to get into their rooms over the break (information about winter break).
- Students are expected to move out within 24 hours of their last scheduled exam or by no later than 5pm on Friday, May 12, 2023; whichever comes first.
Students who apply for Summer Housing may additionally apply for May Interim housing to bridge between the end of the Spring and the start of the Summer. Other students may receive programatic extensions due to working at graduation, etc.
- 10am on Thursday, May 18, 2023 (students must be confirmed as taking part in Commencement)
How to Check Out from Your Room
2 steps for checking out!
When students move out of their room, they must complete BOTH steps below to officially check out:
- Turn in a CHECK-OUT ENVELOPE at your residence hall Front Desk
- Don't forget to write your name and room number on the envelope!
- Please turn in an envelope even if you lost the key(s) to your room.
- Submit the CONFIRM CHECK-OUT FORM (log into Housing Portal or scan QR code at Front Desk) to confirm your departure from campus.
Failure to submit the Check-Out Envelope and/or online Form by the move-out deadline will result in a minimum $100 Improper Check-Out Fee. Missing keys will result in a $100 per key replacement charge. Students who fail to move out by their check-out deadline will be subject to escalating fines (starting at $100) and disciplinary action.
Planning for your Move Out
24-hour Quiet Hour Period
The reading days and exam week are a 24-Hour Quiet Hour period:
- Fall 2022 -- 8pm Monday, December 12, through 5pm Thursday, December 22, 2022
- Spring 2023 -- 8pm Monday, May 1, through 5pm Thursday, May 11, 2023
Preparing to Move Out
- Plan with your suitemates who will clean what & when. Students are expected to clean their bedrooms, bathrooms, and kitchens.
- Start packing in advance! Don’t forget to check all your drawers, closets, etc.
- Don’t wait until the last minute to check out! Elevators, carts, & street parking will be limited.
- Information about any check-out or damage charges will be sent to your Barnard email account after move-out. If you will not be checking that account over the summer, please set up your email to forward to any account that you will be checking.
Summer Storage Off-Campus
Unfortunately there is no storage space available on campus, but many vendors offer fee-based summer storage services to students. Students are responsible for negotiating rates, dates, and details with their selected vendor.
Donating Items (Give & Go Green)
Information about donating items on campus during the Spring 2023 move-out will be posted when finalized by the Barnard Campus Sustainability and Climate Action office.
Looking to find new homes for your items yourself? Check out Rheaply, the online platform designed to facilitate the exchange of items among the Barnard Community.
A limited number of carts will be available for check-out from the front desk of each residence hall. Students are encouraged to bring their own cart, hand truck, or dolly if possible to help move themselves out.
Please do not leave any cars double parked without someone in it. Unattended and/or double parked cars block others from accessing the buildings and may be ticketed or towed by NYPD.
Cleaning & Damage Charges
Students are responsible for returning their room to the same condition it was in when they moved in (including cleaning their room and/or moving furniture back to the original positions). Residential Life & Housing staff will inspect rooms after check-out.
Students will be assessed charges for any cleaning and/or repair of damages required. Any cleaning or damage charges that cannot be attributable to one roommate and/or suitemate will be shared among all roommates and/or suitemates.
List of Damage & Cleaning Fees
Students who are assessed cleaning and/or damage charges will be contacted via their Barnard email during the summer to provide them with the amount & description. Students will have a deadline, communicated in the email, by which they may submit any appeals. Students are responsible for checking their Barnard email and/or forwarding their mail to an account that they do check over the summer.
Mail Forwarding (or Keeping Your Mailbox Open Over the Summer)
Leaving campus for the summer? Remember to change any automatic shipments, deliveries and your default shipping address! Note: Mail Services is unable to forward packages or international mail.
Staying on campus this summer? Request to keep your mailbox open via the form linked on the Mail Services webpage.
All student mailboxes will be closed for the summer unless a request is submitted. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.