- Block A -- 12noon Friday, June 18
- Block B -- 12noon Monday, August 16
Extensions are not available.
Note: students in the SRI program may have an earlier check-out deadline at 12noon on Saturday, July 31, depending on their program dates.
As a reminder, only residents may enter the residence halls during the 2021 Summer semester. If you have family or friends picking you up from campus, they will need to wait outside for you to exit your residence hall with your belongings (they may not enter to help you pack).
Students who may need move-out assistance as an accommodation for a disability or medical condition would need to be approved by CARDS. Requests must be submitted to CARDS@barnard.edu no later than 7 days before the date they plan to move out.
When students move out of their room, they must complete BOTH steps below to officially check out:
- Complete a CHECK-OUT ENVELOPE at your residence hall Front Desk -- even if you have lost the key(s) to your room!
- CONFIRM YOUR CHECK-OUT on the Housing Portal. You can scan the QR code at the Front Desk (or click the link from the Front Page of the Portal). Students will confirm they have turned in their keys and that they have removed all items from their room (so the room can be cleaned for the summer).
Failure to submit the Check-Out Envelope or online Form by the move out deadline will result in a minimum $100 Improper Check-Out Fee.
Missing keys will result in a $100 per key replacement charge.
Students who fail to move out by their check-out deadline will be subject to escalating fines (starting at $100) and disciplinary action.
- 24-hour Quiet Hours during exams run from Friday, April 16 at 8pm through Friday, April 23 8pm.
- Plan with your suitemates who will clean what & when. Students are expected to clean their bedrooms, bathrooms, and kitchens.
- Start packing in advance! Don’t forget to check all your drawers, closets, etc.
- Note: due to the ongoing pandemic, there will NOT be any Give-&-Go-Green donation program. All items must be removed from your room/suite and either taken home, stored off-campus for the summer, or thrown away/recycled in the appropriate locations.
- Don’t wait until the last minute to check out! Elevators, carts, & street parking will be limited.
- Information about any check-out or damage charges will be sent to your Barnard email account after move-out. If you will not be checking that account over the summer, please set up your email to forward to any account that you will be checking.
Students are responsible for returning their room to the same condition it was in when they moved in (including cleaning their room and/or moving furniture back to original positions). Residential Life & Housing staff will inspect rooms after check-out.
Students will be assessed charges for any cleaning and/or repair of damages required. Any cleaning or damage charges that cannot be attributable to one roommate and/or suitemate will be shared among all roommates and/or suitemates.
Students who are assessed cleaning and/or damage charges will be contacted via their Barnard email during the summer to provide them with the amount & description. Students will have a deadline, communicated in the email, by which they may submit any appeals. Students are responsible for checking their Barnard email and/or forwarding their mail to an account that they do check over the summer.
Please do not leave any cars double parked without someone in it. Unattended and/or double parked cars block others from accessing the buildings and may be ticketed or towed by NYPD.
A limited number of carts will be available for check-out from the front desk of each residence hall. A photo ID is required to borrow a cart for one hour.
There is no storage space available on campus, but many vendors offers fee-based storage services to Barnard students. Students are responsible for negotiating rates, dates and details with their selected vendor.
For information about forwarding the mail from your Altschul box over the summer, visit Mail Services.
If you are going to be living on campus (or in the city) for the summer and wish to keep your mailbox open over the summer, you must fill out a "Keep Mailbox Open" form at the Mail Services Window in Altschul.
If you rented a refrigerator, you must arrange to return it to the vendor yourself. The College is not able to return your refrigerator for you.
If you signed up for cable with Spectrum Cable, you must contact them to cancel your cable TV service and to return your cable box. The College cannot return your cable box for you.
Please note that last-minute requests for Summer Housing will not be accepted and would not result in permission for check-out extensions.