Student Info

The Office of Disability Services (ODS) serves students with a broad range of long-term or permanent disabilities, including:

  • hearing loss/deafness
  • mobility impairments 
  • visual impairments 
  • chronic medical conditions (e.g. asthma, diabetes, seizure disorders)
  • learning disabilities (LD)
  • attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADD/ADHD)
  • psychological disabilities
  • substance abuse/recovery 
  • students with temporary disabilities of two weeks duration or more (e.g. hospitalization, accident, illness)

The Office of Disability Services (ODS) recognizes that the decision to self-identify any disability is a personal one and we respect a student's decision not to do so. We do however, encourage all students with visible or non-visible disabilities, such as learning disabilities or chronic medical conditions, to self-identify and to register with ODS. This should be done as early as possible: during the admissions process, upon arrival at College, or immediately following diagnosis or injury. Information provided to the Student Health Service is confidential and is not forwarded to ODS.

All students with either permanent or temporary disabilities who wish to register for services are required to have appropriate disability-related documentation on file in ODS. If partial or outdated documentation is provided, provisional services (for up to one semester only) may be granted, however, only approved on a case by case basis. We will discuss disability-related needs regarding academic accommodations including nonstandard test-taking arrangements as well as other aspects of a student's life at Barnard or in the community.

Barnard students with disabilities who need nonstandard administration of quizzes or exams may receive disability-related exam accommodations including extended time, assistive technology, use of aids and environmental adjustments (e.g. - separate exam location). Students are required to register with the Office of Disability Services (ODS) and provide appropriate disability-related documentation.