After Room Selection
Cancelling your Housing Contract
Signing the housing contract is an academic year-long commitment.
If you pick or receive a room assignment (or sign up for the Guaranteed List) and then...
- get into a Study Abroad program for the Fall
- decide to move off-campus
- transfer to another school
- take a leave of absence, etc.
... you need to submit the Housing Cancellation Form to cancel your Housing Contract.
(If a senior picks with their group during the Columbia Suite Lottery, any backup room they picked at Barnard will be automatically cancelled)
Students must cancel by Thursday, May 2, 2024, to avoid a cancellation fee.
For the full 2024-2025 Cancellation Policy and cancellation fee calendar, please visit barnard.edu/reslife/cancellations.
If you are thinking about living off-campus, we strongly encourage you to discuss your individual circumstances with the Financial Aid office before finalizing your decision, as changing to commuter status may affect the amount of financial aid you may be eligible for and/or receive.
Students who move off-campus or take a leave of absence will not have a guarantee of campus housing if they later apply for campus housing.
Post-Lottery Room Change Requests & 1-for-1 Swaps
All selections in Room Selection are FINAL. After students pick a space, it is not possible to change it outside of the established Post-Lottery Room Change / Direct Swap request processes (below).
- Students may request Post-Lottery 1-for1 Direct Swaps.
- Rising-Seniors only may request a Post-Lottery Room Change during the summer.
- Rising-Juniors & Sophomores may apply for the Fall Room Change Request Process (i.e. after classes start for the Fall).
Information about applying for summer housing will be posted at barnard.edu/reslife/summer-housing when available.