Returning from a Leave of Absence
All Students Must:
- Submit the Request for Return form and send it to the Office of Leaves and Returns, in the Dean of Studies Office, by November 1 for a Spring return or June 1 for a Fall return. Note: In order to complete the writable PDF form, please download the form, save the file and open with Adobe Acrobat. You may submit this by mail, fax, or attached to an email. This form must be accompanied by:
- A $100 processing fee, which may be paid electronically or by check made payable to Barnard College.
- A letter explaining what you’ve been doing and why you now feel ready to resume your studies.
- Pro Tip: Contact the office to make sure all paperwork was received by the deadline.
- Schedule an appointment to meet with the College Case Manager. You may schedule this appointment online or by calling (212) 854-2024. If you are not in New York, this meeting can take place via phone or video chat.
- Apply for Financial Aid by November 1 for a Spring return and May 1 for a Fall return, if you are seeking financial aid and have not yet applied for it for this academic year.
- Submit a Housing Application if you are requesting housing, by November 1 for a Spring return or June 1 for a Fall return.
- If you are an international student, contact the International and Intercultural Student Programs, as SEVIS requires notification of your return.
- If you have a diagnosed disability that may require any accommodation from the Center for Accessibility Resources and Disabilities, or if you have any questions about whether you qualify for an accommodation, contact the Center for Accessibility Resources and Disabilities to submit or update your disability documentation in the required format.
- Once your request to return is approved:
- Pay all tuition and fees before the start of classes; contact the Bursar’s Office if there is a problem with payment.
- Log into myBarnard; try accessing your Barnard email and planning courses in Student Planning. If you encounter any difficulties, contact Student Computing.
- Let your academic adviser know you are returning from leave, and will be scheduling an advising meeting upon your return. Consult with your class dean or College Case manager on course selection before you return
- Register for courses at your assigned time the week before the semester begins. Check the Academic Calendar and/or look out for an email from the College Case Manager informing you of your course registration date(s).
- When classes begin, attend all classes that you are registered or waitlisted for, or are hoping to join.
- Complete Barnard’s required Enrollment Confirmation by the Wednesday of the first week of classes.
Students Returning from a Medical/Mental Health Leave Must Also:
Submit the Medical/Mental Health Request for Return completed by your home treatment team. Note: In order to complete the writable PDF form, please download the form, save the file and open with Adobe Acrobat. The Medical/Mental Health Request for Return form should be sent directly to the Executive Director of Student Health and Wellness by November 1 for a spring return, June 1 for a fall return.
Pro Tip: Contact the office to make sure all paperwork was received by the deadline.
Once the forms are received, contact the appropriate personnel on campus (Primary Care Health Service and/or the Furman Counseling Center) to arrange for any required appointment(s) before your return. Check the bottom portion of your completed Notice of Leave of Absence form if you don’t recall which meetings are required. This completed form should have been attached to the email you received from our office confirming your Leave of Absence.
Students Returning from a Required Leave Must Also:
- Submit written evidence that you have complied with all conditions specified for your return, e.g.: official transcripts, summer approval forms, etc. and employment verification letter on letterhead, W2 forms, etc., to the Registrar.