Data & Outcomes
Beyond Barnard is committed to providing transparent data about its services and resources, as it shares stories about the many trajectories of Barnard students and alumnae.
Beyond Barnard Outcomes
placement in jobs and graduate school, six months after graduation, in the classes of 2018, 2019, and 2020
institutions where the Class of 2020 was employed or enrolled in graduate school by November 2020
individual advising engagements since January 2018
Six months after receiving their degree, 89% of Barnard alumnae in the Class of 2020 were working or enrolled in graduate school. The top industries where graduates work were: Education (17%); Healthcare, Biotech, and Life Sciences (12%); Financial Services (12%); Law, Government & Politics (11%), and Non-Profit/NGO (7%).
Full information about the Class of 2020 is available in our outcomes report. Details on our reporting methodologies, along with additional information about usage of Beyond Barnard, are below.
Beyond Barnard is committed to providing transparent information about its services and resources, as well as information about the many destinations of its alumnae. Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Annual Report & Strategic Plan
Beyond Barnard is currently in the process of crafting its 2022-26 strategic plan. Please read its original plan (2018-21) here.
Each year, Beyond Barnard produces comprehensive reports on its performance, and on the excellence of students and alumnae the the College. We believe that reporting on outcomes, usage, and other metrics is an important part of communicating transparently with the entire Barnard Community.
Questions about Beyond Barnard's annual reports or strategic plan can be sent to email@example.com.
Selected Beyond Barnard Engagement Statistics
- 11,400 advising engagements at Beyond Barnard since the initiative's launch (Jan 2018-June 2020)
- 1,500 individuals served by advising (2020)
- 186 Summer Research Institute students (Summer 2019)
- Top industries for graduating seniors in the Class of 2020 included Education (17%); Financial Services (12%); Healthcare, Biotech, and Life Sciences (12%); Law, Government & Politics (11%); and Tech (7%)
- 80% of currently-enrolled students have completed at least one advising appointment at Beyond Barnard (Spring 2021)
- 84% of Barnard students and alumnae with at least a 3.5 GPA and 510 MCAT have been accepted into at least one allopathic (MD) medical school (during the previous five years)
- 10 Barnard students and alumnae were selected as Fulbright recipients in 2020 (breaking the College's 72-year old record!). This is in addition to 6 Barnard students and alumnae selected as Fulbright recipients in each of the previous two years (2019 and in 2018); Barnard has been a “top producer” of Fulbright students for multiple years, including in 2021; Schwartzman Scholar (2018, 2019, and 2020); Pickering Fellow (2019); Udall Scholar (2019); Davis Projects for Peace (2018 & 2019); Gates Cambridge Scholar (2021)
- Beyond Barnard and the Summer Research Institute will together offer more than 500 total funded opportunities from Fall 2020 through Summer 2021 (including internships and funded research)
- 100+ external employers and graduate institutions, along with 20 on- and off-campus student job hosts attended 2020-21 Opportunities Fairs
- In 2018, 2019, and 2020, Columbia University was the most common destination for graduate education among individuals pursuing additional study after Barnard (79 students in these graduating classes enrolled in Columbia)
- 75% of Barnard students are estimated to complete an internship during their four years at the College
- Alumnae accounted for ~20% of one-on-one advising engagements in 2018-20
First Destination Outcomes for Graduating Classes
Sources for Beyond Barnard's data include annual First Destination Surveys (administered by Beyond Barnard using Handshake), the National Student Clearinghouse, and LinkedIn. In 2020, outcome statistics are based on usable outcome information collected by the Beyond Barnard and Institutional Research and Assessment on 534 of 706 (75% knowledge rate) of Barnard students who graduated in October 2019, February 2020, and May 2020.
For a previous study on one-year outcomes for the Class of 2016, please click here. Data for the class of 2021 will be available in December 2021. Please send your questions about data and outcomes to firstname.lastname@example.org.