Commitment to Access
When Barnard College opened its doors to young women in 1889, it opened a world of rigorous higher education to a segment of the New York City population that had previously been barred. Over one hundred and thirty years later, Barnard is still rewriting the narrative of inequity by working to remove barriers of access to historically underrepresented groups. Over 40% of Barnard students identify as students of color, and 16% are the first in their family to attend college. In addition to a plethora of supportive programs, our Council on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion continues to create strategies to promote equity throughout our beloved community.
Barnard Bound provides a taste of Barnard College for promising young women who are current high school seniors, attending school in the United States, and will be part of the first generation in their families to attend a 4-year college and/or come from a low-income background.
For 2023-2024, Barnard will host a virtual and in-person Barnard Bound to engage with students across the country:
- The virtual program will be held on Saturday, October 14, 2023 for students across the United States.
- The in-person program will be held from Sunday, October 22 to Monday, October 23, 2023 for students in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania. Note: Barnard College will cover transportation, lodging, and food.
What happens at Barnard Bound?
Barnard Bound programming includes panels, presentations, and conversations featuring current students, alumnae, faculty, and staff — all with the unique lens of what it means to be first-generation/low income at Barnard and in spaces of higher education. Barnard Bound participants will also have access to virtual workshops throughout the fall to continue learning more about Barnard and the application process.
How do students apply for Barnard Bound?
Applications are now open for Barnard Bound 2023!
- Applications are due by Monday, September 18, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. EDT.
- Only completed applications with all necessary materials will be considered.
- If a student is chosen to participate in Barnard Bound programming, they will either be selected for the in-person program or the virtual program.
Whom do I contact with questions?
If you have any questions about Barnard Bound, please contact Admissions at email@example.com.