All babysitting jobs will now be posted on BarnardWorks. Babysitters are no longer required to pay fees, and can now log on to BarnardWorks JobX to apply for babysitting jobs. Babysitters will review the jobs posted on BarnardWorks, apply directly to the client(s), and be hired by clients directly. The Beyond Barnard office does not offer babysitter/client matching services.
Babysitters do not have to fill out any employment forms (W-4, WTPA, etc.) with the Beyond Barnard office, and will be paid directly by the client. Babysitters are required to claim earnings filing taxes each year and pay taxes on the money they earn.
All students must review the rules below, and then print, sign, and return the Barnard Babysitting Rules Acknowledgement Form to the Beyond Barnard office. You may either scan it/take a picture of it and email it to email@example.com, or you may drop it off in person on the 2nd floor of Elliott Hall. Once your form is submitted, access will be granted to Barnard Babysitting jobs on BarnardWorks.
Here are the official Barnard Babysitter rules:
- Babysitters must fulfill any job they have accepted, and email the client directly if they need to cancel, and are expected to give 24 hours of notice to the client for jobs they cannot fulfill.
- Babysitting is prohibited in all Barnard Residence Halls.
- Babysitters are not allowed to bring other students or friends to babysit.
- Babysitters are not expected to do housework beyond cleaning up after themselves.
- Clients must pay for cab fare home from their home to the Barnard Campus if the babysitting job ends after 9:00 p.m.
- Clients should provide food or money for food to sitters during meal times. Be prepared to discuss food restrictions with clients.
- The minimum babysitting wage is $15.00 per hour. The average babysitting wage is $15.00 to $20.00 per hour. Clients are welcome to pay above the average.
- International students interested in participating in Barnard Babysitting must consult with Dean Wendy Garay in International Student Services before they work.
How to Request a BarnardWorks Account to Post Jobs
- Select Babysitting from the drop-down menu
- Complete all of the information on the next page
- In the Employer drop-down menu, choose Babysitter : New Client (which is the first choice on the list)
- Under Job Title, write Babysitter
- In the Notes box, please write your organization or family name
- Once you receive notification that your account is approved, you will be able to post your job
- Once you complete the questionnaire and click submit, then a staff member from the Office of Student Employment Services will review your request and approve your account so you can begin posting your job opportunities
- You will receive an email notification as soon as it is approved and may begin posting jobs as soon as you receive that email
How to Post a Job Opportunity
- Log in to BarnardWorks
- On the JobX Control Panel, click on the gray Add a New Job button at the top of the page
- Fill out the job description form
- For Time Frame, select Academic Year (even if it's a one-time opportunity; list the exact date in your job title & description)
- At the end of the form, there is a question - Do you want to collect online applications for this job?
- Choose Yes
- If you want to have BarnardWoarks JobX collect applications for you online
- Keep the last question checked as Yes
- When you click submit, the next page gives you a chance to review and approve job applications
- Choose No:
- If you want to have students call or email you directly
- Be sure to click NO
- Choose Yes
- Click Submit, and a staff member will review and approve your job posting
- Once approved, you will review applications, interview and hire your babysitter(s).
- Be sure to communicate directly with students you wish to interview and/or hire.
- We will only keep your listing up for 4 weeks. If you find someone before then, you can click on the job title and then on Review Mode to de-list it. If you do not fill your position, please email us before the 4 weeks are up and let us know you'd like to keep your post up longer.
Please note the following with regard to job postings
- There will be a disclaimer at the bottom of all postings that excludes Barnard College from any and all liability claims. All students who respond to your job posting(s) are considered independent contractors, are responsible for paying their own taxes, and are covered under the disclaimer language that excludes Barnard College from any liability claims. You are hiring student workers at your own risk, and we would expect that as the employer, you will be vetting your job candidates for positions you post.
- The Beyond Barnard office will not be vetting or selecting candidates for your jobs. Jobs will be posted, and approved Barnard College student employees will respond to your posting(s) without intervention from Beyond Barnard staff persons. We recommend that you select job candidates that you feel most confident and comfortable employing when choosing new employees.
- We are not matching students to babysitting jobs. You should treat BarnardWorks as a jobs board; you will post your opportunities, and students will apply directly to you. You will choose your own babysitter from the students who apply to your job post.
- The Beyond Barnard office will not be requiring or accepting any physician documentation to show proof of a minor child in the home. Additionally, Beyond Barnard will not be charging or accepting client fees. Posting jobs on BarnardWorks JobX is free to all clients. This means that there are no required documents and no fees associated with posting part-time babysitting job opportunities for currently-enrolled Barnard College students through the Beyond Barnard office.
We genuinely appreciate all of your patience and support during our transition, and we are very much so looking forward to working with you and serving your hiring needs for the 2017-2018 academic year here at Beyond Barnard office.