Disability Housing Requests

Students with diagnosed disabilities who may need some form of disability-related housing consideration (accessible housing, strobe alarm, etc.) should submit a Disability Housing Request (DHR).

The procedure includes:

  1. Submitting the Housing Accomodation Request Form (available on the Disability Services website)
  2. A clinician's statement certifying the disability following the Disability Documentation Guidelines (DDG) format
  3. A conversation with the Director of Disability Services

Please note that the first two items must be completed prior to the meeting with the Director of Disability Services.

Students who wish to bring Service or Support Animals to campus must provide additional information and receive permission before bringing animals to campus.

If Disability Services approves a request, Residential Life & Housing makes every effort to meet outlined needs, but cannot guarantee accommodations (which are based upon availability).

Note: Students who may have received accommodations in the past must re-apply each year to be reconsidered. Previous accommodations are not automatically extended without submitting an updated request for the upcoming academic year.


2016-17 First Year, Transfer, & Visiting Students

The request for a disability housing accommodation must be submitted in addition to the regular Housing application. The DHR must be completed by June 6, 2016 (by December 16, 2016, for new students in the Spring).

Note: First year students reside in the First-Year-Focus area, which consists of multiple occupancy rooms (doubles, triples, or quads), and participate in the unlimited meal plan. Accommodations granted by the College must follow these requirements.


Continuing Students (for 2016-2017)

Students currently living in housing (and are Room Selection-eligible) who need a disability housing accommodation for the upcoming academic year must submit a DHR no later than 4pm on Thursday, February 18, 2016 (as part of the Room Selection process). See https://barnard.edu/reslife/roomselection/disability for more information.

Students who are applying to return to campus housing (i.e. returning from abroad, applying for readmission to the College, etc) should submit a DHR by the same deadline as required by the Housing Application (June 1 for the Fall, December 1 for the Spring).  Please note that a DHR should be submitted in addition to (not in place of) a Housing Application.  Note: in these situations it is typically not possible to have a "Pull-In."

Reminder:  students who may have received accommodations in the past must re-apply each year to be reconsidered. Previous accommodations are not automatically extended without submitting an updated request for the upcoming academic year.


Summer 2016

Students who need a disability housing accommodation for 2016 Summer Housing must submit a DHR no later than 4pm on Friday, April 22, 2016. (in addition to submitting a Summer Housing application).

Students are required to reapply for accommodations each summer, even if they have received an accommodation in the past (or have already submitted a request for the following academic year). Late requests cannot be accommodated. 


Frequently Asked Questions

How does ODS define "disability"?

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, a disability is defined as "any physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities." If you are unsure whether your particular illness or impairment qualifies as a disability, please contact ODS directly, well in advance of the deadline.

Must I be registered with ODS to apply for disability-related housing?

Yes. If you have not previously registered with ODS, you must do so when you apply for a disability-related housing accommodation. All students with disabilities requesting a disability-related housing accommodation must follow the three-step procedure outlined above. ODS often finds that when students come in to discuss their disability-related housing concerns that there may be other types of needs (especially for students with chronic illnesses) for which ODS registration might be helpful in the future.

What are my housing options if I apply for disability-related housing?

The Disability Housing Request Committee reviews requests for disability-related housing consideration on a case-by-case basis. Accessibility information may be found on each residence hall's webpage at barnard.edu/reslife/housing-options. Room assignments are made based on individual student needs and room availability.

I have a respiratory disability and need air-conditioning. What are my options?

Central air conditioning is available in Sulzberger Tower, Elliott, Plimpton, and Cathedral Gardens only and is primarily a summer housing feature. Please note that air-conditioning in these locations is usually turned off in mid-September and is not turned on again until mid-to-late May. There are no housing locations available with year-round air-conditioning.

Additional Questions

If you have any questions, please contact Disability Services, in 008 Milbank (ods@barnard.edu or 212-854-4634).