Clarifying Statement Regarding Barnard Meal Plans for 2022-2023
Barnard's meal plans are designed to ensure that students have access to healthy and abundant food that fits their budget and lifestyle. We will continue working with students throughout the academic year to ensure that our meal plan offerings evolve to best-fit students' needs.
For information about dining locations, hours, etc, please visit Barnard Dining Services.
Meal Plan Change Form & Deadlines
Students are enrolled in default Barnard meal plans each semester based on their class year or residential status. They may switch to a different Barnard meal plan (as permitted by the Meal Plan requirements below) via the Meal Plan Change Form through the deadlines below:
- Fall Semester -- August 29, 2022
- Spring Semester -- January 9, 2023
Meal plans cannot be adjusted after the dates above. Students who wish to change from the default enrolled plan would need to submit the Meal Plan Change Form each semester.
Meal Plan Requirements
- First-Year students living in campus housing are required to enroll in the Platinum Plan (regardless of which residence hall they are assigned to).
- Upperclass students living in floors 2-8 of the Quad are required to enroll, at minimum, in the Flex 150 Plan.
- Students in the Visiting International Student Program (VISP) are enrolled by default in the Platinum Plan. Based on the specifics of the exchange program with their university, they may be able to switch to a less comprehensive meal plan.
- All other residential students are enrolled by default in the Flex 100 Plan but may switch to any other plan via the Meal Plan Change Form (see above for deadlines and more information).
- Non-residential students (including non-residential First-Years) are enrolled by default in the Convenience Plan but may switch to another meal plan via the Meal Plan Change Form (see above for deadlines and more information).
Adding Additional Meals & Points
Students can add meals anytime throughout the year in increments of 5, 10, or 20. Students can also add points in increments of $25 at BC Dining Services or add an additional full meal plan at the Bursar's Office.
Columbia students must complete a meal contract (see Forms & Links) and submit it to Barnard Bursar each term. In addition, Columbia students must submit full payment with their dining contracts. If paying by check, mail the meal contract and payment to Barnard Bursar, 3009 Broadway New York, NY 10027-6598. Otherwise, you may pay online at barnard.afford.com and submit the meal contract as a scanned PDF (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (212-280-8941), or through the mail (Barnard Bursar, 3009 Broadway, NY, NY 10027-6598).
Meals Plans FAQ
Yes, all enrolled full-time students not participating in an approved study abroad program must be enrolled in a Barnard meal plan.
Please see Meal Plan Requirements above for the requirements based on class year and/or residential status.
- Log into https://ssol.columbia.edu (you will need to use your UNI and Columbia password to log in)
- Click “Cardholder Transaction” under Columbia Card to view your meal plan usage.
- f you experience an account lockout, please email your name and UNI ID to email@example.com.
Note: meal plan balances are only available during the semester (not available before the semester begins).
Residential upperclass students living outside floors 2-8 of the Quad are enrolled by default in the Flex 100 plan.
Students may chose a different meal plan following the instructions / deadlines above (see Meal Plan Change Form & Deadlines).
Any unused meals are forfeited at the end of each semester.
Barnard students can swipe in guests for meals up to the total value of the meal plan.
In addition, Barnard students can add meals throughout the year in increments of 5 and 10, and 20 and points in increments of $25 as needed through Chartwells.
Barnard students may use their meal plan swipes at the locations listed under the next section (What dining locations may Barnard students use?).
Meal Plan Points are included with meal plans. These points are "dollars" that are part of your meal plan and can be used like cash at any dining location at Barnard (points are not able to be used on the Columbia campus as part of the meal exchange).
You may use these points to purchase à la carte meals and snacks. Barnard's Meal Plan Points carry over from the Fall semester to the Spring semester if you remain enrolled in a Barnard meal plan in the Spring. However, Meal Plan Points remaining in your account at the end of the academic year are forfeited.
Students are able to use their Barnard meal plans at the locations listed below:
- Hewitt Dining Hall (entrance in lower level of Barnard Hall) -- meal swipes & points
- Diana Center Cafe (Diana 2nd floor) -- meal swipes and points
- Liz's Place (Diana lobby) -- points only
- Peet's Coffee Bar (Milstein lobby) -- points only
Students may also use meal swipes (but not points) at the following locations on the Columbia campus as part of the BC/CU Meal Exchange:
- John Jay
- JJ’s Place
- Faculty House
Yes. Barnard students can use their meal swipes for guests in Barnard dining facilities. The only limit to the number of swipes a student can use for a guest is the total amount of meals in a student’s particular plan.
The amount of financial aid we provide is matched to a student’s financial need.
- The financial aid budget for first-year students receiving aid includes a direct allocation for the Platinum Plan.
- All other residential student financial aid packages include an allocation to cover the Flex 150 Plan.
- Non-residential students' financial aid package includes the Convenience Plan.
If a student enrolls into a lower meal plan, the funds intended to cover the higher plan are not lost; they will be applied to other outstanding charges on the student’s bill.
If students have any questions regarding their financial aid award, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We welcome student input and make every effort to incorporate suggestions from students into our dining plans.
Stay tuned for more information at the beginning of the school year. In the meantime, if you have any questions, suggestions, or comments on the dining plans, please reach out to email@example.com.