Barnard’s meal plans are designed to ensure that students have access to healthy and abundant food in a manner that fits their budget and lifestyle. We will continue to work with students throughout the academic year to ensure that our meal plan offerings continue to evolve to best-fit students’ needs.
Please see below for important information about meal plans, including deadlines for students to change their meal plans where that option is available:
- All first-year residents must sign up for the Platinum plan;
- All upper-class students living on floors 2-8 of the Quad must sign up for the Flex 150 at a minimum;
- Students living in Barnard College housing outside of the Quad can sign up for any plan that meets their needs. Please note that the fall bills for these students will automatically reflect the Flex 100 plan, but these students can change this selection any time through Wednesday, August 25, through the StarRez Portal.
- Non-residential students can sign up for any plan; full-time non-resident students will automatically be placed in the Convenience 400 Points Only (per semester) Plan and can change or drop their plans through Wednesday, August 25, through StarRez Portal.
- Students can add meals anytime throughout the year in increments of 5 or 10 and 20. Additionally, students can add points in increments of $25 at BC Dining Services, or add a full meal plan at the Bursar's Office. This means that students living outside the Quad can purchase a lower-cost plan and add meals as needed throughout the year.
- FOR MORE INFO, SEE FAQ BELOW.
Meal Plans FAQ
Are students required to purchase a meal plan?
Yes, all students must purchase a meal plan. The type of plan depends on the student’s housing:
- First-year residents are required to purchase the Platinum plan (19 meals per week with 120 points per semester).
- Upper-class students living on floors 2-8 of the Quad must purchase the Flex 150 meals and 625 points per semester.
- All other students living in Barnard housing outside the Quad can choose any plan that meets their needs.
- Full-time non-residential students may choose any plan that meets their needs.
Why is Barnard charging me for the Flex 100 Plan? What if I do not want this plan?
For Barnard students living in Barnard/Columbia housing outside the Quad, we have set the Flex 100 plan (100 meals per semester plus 400 points) as the default plan in the fall 2021 bills. Students can change this selection any time through Wednesday, August 25, through the StarRez Portal.
For further instructions on choosing a meal plan that meets your needs, please visit the Bursar website.
What dining halls will Barnard students have access to?
Barnard students will be able to use their meal plans (through swipes or points) at several locations on Barnard’s campus: Hewitt Dining Hall, the second floor Diana Student Dining Room (McIntosh Student Dining Room), Liz’s Place, and Peet's Coffee Bar at The Milstein Center. Students will also be able to use their dining plans at three locations on Columbia’s campus: Ferris Booth, John Jay, and JJ’s Place.
Can Barnard students use their meal plan to buy a meal for a guest?
Yes. Barnard students can use their meal swipes for guests in Barnard dining facilities. The only limit to the number of swipes a student can use for a guest is the total amount of meals in a student’s particular plan.
How is dining factored into a student’s financial aid package?
The amount of financial aid we provide is matched to a student’s financial need. The financial aid budget for first-year students receiving aid includes a direct allocation for the Platinum Plan. All other resident student financial aid packages include an allocation to cover the Upper-Class Quad plan. Note that if the student enrolls or defaults into a lower meal plan, the funds intended to cover the higher plan are not lost; they will be applied to other outstanding charges on the student’s bill. Non-residential students Students can address any questions to the Office of Financial Aid at email@example.com.
How can students become engaged in discussions with the College about meal plans and the future of dining at Barnard?
We welcome student input and make every effort to incorporate suggestions from students into our dining plans.
Stay tuned for more information at the beginning of the school year. In the meantime, if you have any questions, suggestions, or comments on the dining plans, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.[Back to Tuition and Fees]