|Semester||Request Form Opens||Request Form Closes|
|Fall 2023||Wednesday, September 13, 2023||12noon Thursday, November 16, 2023|
|Spring 2024||Friday, January 19, 2024||12noon Thursday, April 18, 2024|
What is a Direct Swap?
A Direct Swap request is when two students want to “swap” room assignments with each other. Students can look for others to potentially swap with and confirm those requests through the Housing Portal (see below).
Students must receive permission from the Res Life office to swap rooms (even within the same suite). As it is vitally important to your safety & security that records accurately reflect where students live on campus, students who swap or move rooms without permission could be subject to disciplinary action and would be required to move back to their originally assigned space.
To look for a Direct Swap, log into the Housing Portal and click FORMS > Look for a Room Swap.
If students are experiencing challenges living with their roommate or suitemates, they are encouraged to try mediation with the help of their RA or other Res Life staff members before submitting a room swap request.
It is the College's expectation that any students living in a multiple and/or suite discuss any potential room swaps with their current roommate/suitemates, as well as any new roommate/suitemates that would result from a room swap. This is intended to ensure a positive & smooth transition for all parties involved.
The students who wish to swap must be the students to fill out the form and submit the request via the Portal. If you submit a request on the Portal, you would be the one to move (not your roommate).
- First years may only swap with other first-year students
- Barnard Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors may swap with other upperclass students in Barnard housing
- Columbia University students living in Barnard residence halls are not eligible to swap rooms and there is no switching permitted between Barnard & Columbia residence halls (please consult CU Housing for information about room change requests for CU students).
Room Swap Requests must be submitted before 12noon on Thursdays in order for students to be considered for approval & to be able to move that weekend. Any requests submitted after 12 noon Thursday would not be reviewed or approved until the following week.
Student may not switch rooms unless their submitted Room Swap Request is approved by Residential Life & Housing. Requests are generally approved, but processing time may vary. The College reserves the right to deny requests.
If approved for a room swap, students will need to follow the instructions & timeline provided to them by the Res Life office.
- Students may not swap room keys.
- Students will sign for new room keys at the Res Life Office (open 9am-5pm) on the Friday of their approved swap weekend. Only the student themself may pick up their keys and must do so between 9am-5pm.
- Students must coordinate with each other to move out of their old room and into their new room by 11pm on the Sunday of their approved room swap weekend.
- Students will use the special Blue Room Change Envelope they are given to turn in their old room keys to the Res Life office or Sulzberger Front Desk by 12noon on the Monday following their approved room swap weekend.
- Students who do return their old keys will be subject to a $100 improper check-out fee and $100 per key lock change fee.
- Room swaps must be completed the weekend they are approved for. Room swaps will be cancelled for students who don't sign for their new room keys.
Note: room swaps will not be approved to take place during Fall Break, Thanksgiving Break, or Spring Break. Room Swap Requests submitted before or during those breaks would only be approved to take place over the weekend following the break.
Students who move into (or out of) a Studio Single will be charged a prorated increase (or receive a prorated credit) for the rest of the semester.
Upperclass students who complete a room change into floors 2-8 of the Quad are required to enroll, at minimum, in the Quad Upperclass Meal Plan. First Year students living in campus housing are required to remain enrolled in the Platinum Meal Plan, regardless of room assignment.
If you have any questions about the Room Swap Request process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the Residential Life & Housing office (110 Sulzberger).