Mid-Year Room Changes
Dates for the upcoming academic year will be posted by mid-Fall.
2022-23 Request Timeline & Deadlines
Friday, November 18, 2022
- Mid-Year Room Change Request form opens on the Housing Portal
Monday, November 28, 2022
- Priority Deadline for any Housing Accommodation Requests to CARDS
Friday, December 2, 2022, 4pm
- Deadline to submit Mid-Year Room Change Request form on the Housing Portal
Wednesday, December 14, 2022, 11pm
- Room Change results will be emailed to students by 11pm
Friday, December 23, 2022, 9am
- Residence Halls close for Winter Break at 9am
- Students must be fully moved out of their Fall assignment and turn in their keys
- No belongings may be left in the Fall or Spring room assignment nor suite common areas over the break
Saturday, January 14, 2023
- Residence Halls reopen for the Spring semester
- Students who received room changes may start moving into their new Spring room assignments
- Check-in time slots will be available for the following dates/times:
- 9:30am-4:30pm Saturday, January 14, 2023
- 9:30am-4:30pm Sunday, January 15, 2023
- 9:30am-4:30pm Monday, January 16, 2023
How to Submit a Request
Students will provide ranked preferences for building & room type combinations to which they'd be willing to be re-assigned.
- Requests are prioritized by class year and cannot be guaranteed. Please know that room assignments for guaranteed Spring applicants for housing are also taken into consideration at the same time in class year priority.
- Students may include a request for a specific room; however, assignment to a specific room or suite cannot be guaranteed.
- Students who wish to make a 1-for-1 swap must both submit the request form and mutually request each other's rooms.
Note: Students who want a new room but who do not want to move out of their current room before Winter Break may apply for a Spring Room Change instead (i.e. after the start of the Spring semester). However, please note that there are typically far fewer open spaces available through the Spring Room Change Request process.
This process is for Barnard Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors only.
- First-year students who may be experiencing challenges with their room / roommate assignments should speak to their RA and/or the Community Director (CD) in charge of the Quad
- Columbia University students living in Barnard residence halls are not eligible to participate in this process and there is no switching permitted between BC-designated and CU-designated spaces (please consult CU Housing for information about room change requests for CU students).
Students who submit request a room change are obligated to inform their roommate(s) / suitemates(s) of their request, in order to give them an opportunity to either request a room change of their own or try to recruit a student to request a room change into your room/suite.
Students who may need a housing accommodation not already approved by CARDS for the currently academic year must submit a Housing Accommodation Request (in addition to the room change request form) by the Accommodation Priority Request deadline listed above.
Room Change Requests may be edited or cancelled on the Housing Portal through the submission deadline.
Notification of Room Change results
Students will be emailed by the date listed in the Timeline above to let them know if they received a new room assignment or not.
While the College will attempt to provide new room assignments for as many students as possible, room changes are not guaranteed. Students who do not receive a room change will remain assigned to their Fall room for the Spring semester (and are welcome to submit a Spring Room Change Request in case any additional spaces become available).
Granted room changes are FINAL and BINDING. Students who are granted a room change MUST complete the move, as other room changes will be dependent upon the spaces that will be vacated.
Moving out of Fall Assignment
Students who receive a room change must move completely out of their Fall room before the start of Winter Break (see timeline above). There are no exceptions and extensions are not available.
Students must complete a Check Out Envelope at their residence hall front desk to turn in their Fall room keys and complete the Confirm Check Out Form on the Portal.
- Failure to submit the check-out envelope or the Confirm Check Out form will result in a $100 Improper Check Out fee.
- Keys that are not turned in will result in a $100 per key Lock Change fee.
Students may not leave any belongings over break in their old Fall room assignment, the new Spring room assignment, nor any suite common areas. The College does not have any storage space available for students who receive a mid-year room change. Students may choose to take their belongings home over break or store them off-campus or in a friend's bedroom (i.e. someone who is not changing rooms).
Failure to fully vacate a room before the start of Winter Break may result in fines and/or disciplinary action, which could include cancellation of the room change, the loss of campus housing, and/or loss of ability to participate in the Rom Selection process.
Moving into Spring Assignment
Students will be able to start moving into their new Spring room assignments after the residence halls reopen for the Spring semester (see timeline above for check-in timeslot dates/times).
Instructions for signing for new room keys in January will be finalized and communicated to students who receive room changes in mid-December.
Billing & Meal Plan Changes
All rooms (except studio singles) are billed at the same rate, so students' Spring charges will not change unless they move into (or out of) a Studio Single at 110th Street or move into Hewitt (which requires enrollment in the Flex 150 meal plan at minimum).
Because room changes & any changes to billing will not be finalized until mid-to-late December, students will need to pay the charges listed on their Spring Bursar bill by the December payment deadline.
Once room changes are finalized, students will be be able to see their updated balance owed for the Spring on the Barnard Student Account Center (BSAC). Any additional charges (i.e. increases in room or meal plan rate) will need to be paid to the Bursar's office as soon as possible.
Students who receive a room change to Hewitt Hall will be changed to the Flex 150 Meal Plan. Students who wish to switch to the Kosher Flex 150 plan or upgrade to the Platinum Meal Plan can do so via the Meal Plan Change Form.
Semester housing & meal plan rates are available at https://barnard.edu/bursar/tuition-and-fees.