- Available Dates
- Submitting a Room Swap Request
- Timeline for Approvals & Moves
- Billing Changes
Students may request to swap rooms with another Barnard student currently living in Barnard campus housing. Swaps with Columbia students and/or between Barnard & Columbia housing are not permitted.
Student may not switch rooms unless their submitted Room Swap Request is approved by Residential Life & Housing. Room swaps are generally approved, but processing time may vary.
Room swaps may be submitted starting the first Friday* of the semester through 3 weeks before the end of the semester.
* First Year Students may start submitting room swap requests on the 6th Friday of the Fall semester.
2017-2018 Academic Year
Fall 2017* -- Friday, September 8, (Friday, October 13 for FYs) through 4pm, Thursday, November 30, 2017
- Spring 2018 -- Friday, January 19, through 4pm, Thursday, April 19, 2018
* In Fall 2017, this new process is being rolled on November 6. Dates above are intended to show comparable dates for future Fall semesters.
Students may submit Room Swap Preferences (and search for other students to swap with) on the Barnard Housing Portal. After logging in, click ROOM SWAPS on the Menu Bar.
First Year students may only submit room swap requests with other First Years. Sophomore, Juniors, & Seniors may only submit room swap requests with other upperclass students.
If students are experiencing challenges living with their roommate or suitemates, they are encouraged to try mediation with the help of their RA or other Res Life staff members before submitting a room swap request.
It is the College's expectation that any students living in a multiple and/or suite discuss any potential room swaps with their current roommate/suitemates, as well as any new roommate/suitemates that would result from a room swap. This is intended to ensure a positive & smooth transition for all parties involved.
Room Swap Requests must be submitted before 12noon on Thursdays in order for students to be considered for approval & to be able to move that upcoming weekend. Any requests submitted after 12 noon Thursday would not be reviewed or approved until the following week.
Room swaps are generally approved, but processing time may vary. Student may not switch rooms unless their submitted Room Swap Request is approved by Residential Life & Housing.
If approved for a room swap, students will need to follow the instructions & timeline provided to them by the Res Life office.
- Students may not swap room keys.
- Students will sign for new room keys at the Res Life Office (open 9am-5pm) on the Friday of their approved swap weekend. Only the student themself may pick up their keys and must do so between 9am-5pm.
- Students must coordinate with each other to move out of their old room and into their new room by 11pm on the Sunday of their approved room swap weekend.
- Student will use the special Blue Room Change Envelope they are given to turn in their old room keys to the Res Life office or Sulzberger Front Desk by 12noon on the Monday following their approved room swap weekend.
- Students who do not sign for their new keys and/or return their old keys will be subject to a $100 improper check-out fee and $30 per key replacement fee.
Note: room swaps will not be approved to take place during Fall Break, Thanksgiving Break, or Spring Break. Room Swap Requests submitted before those breaks would only be approved to take place during the weekend following the break.
Students will be responsible for any change in room pricing due to their room swap. Room changes to a more expensive room type (ex. multiple to single) will result in a prorated increase in room price on the student's account. Room changes to a less expensive room type (ex. single to multiple) will result in a prorated credit being placed on the student's account.
Upperclass students who complete a room change into floors 2-8 of the Quad are required to enroll, at minimum, in the Quad Upperclass Meal Plan. First Year students living in campus housing are required to remain enrolled in the Platinum Meal Plan.
If you have any questions about the Room Swap Request process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the Residential Life & Housing office (110 Sulzberger).