1098-T Tax Credits

Students' IRS Forms 1098-T are available by the end of January each year for the previous calendar year from Heartland ECSI (ECSI). Follow the link to ECSI, or visit https://heartland.ecsi.net/index.main.html#/access/FAQtaxDocuments, the servicer for Barnard's tax credit reporting.

From there, you can read about the Education Tax Credits for which you may be eligible when you file your federal income taxes.  You may also view and reprint your personal IRS form 1098-T and supplementary financial information that are sent to you by January 31 each year.  These forms will assist you in preparing your federal income tax return.

Change for 2018: 

In years prior to calendar 2018, Form 1098-T included an amount in Box 2 that represented the Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses (QTRE) which the College billed to your student account for the calendar (tax) year. Due to a change in federal law, beginning with tax year 2018, the College is required to instead report in Box 1 the amount of QTRE you paid during the year. Box 2 is blank starting with the 2018 tax year (i.e. the Form 1098-T issued in January 2019).

Depending on your income (or your family’s income, if you are a dependent), whether you were considered full or half-time enrolled, and the amount of your qualified educational expenses for the year, you may be eligible for a federal education tax credit. (You can find detailed information about claiming education tax credits in IRS Publication 970, page 9. Barnard College does not have further information.)

The dollar amounts reported on your Form 1098-T may assist you in completing IRS Form 8863 – the form used for calculating the education tax credits that a taxpayer may claim as part of your tax return.

Barnard College is unable to provide you with individual tax advice, but if you have questions, you should seek the counsel of an informed tax preparer or adviser.

You will receive your 1098-T via postal mail by the end of January in the year following the enrolled academic year. For more information about Form 1098-T, visit https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1098t.pdf.


For more information about US Education Tax Credits, visit: 

  • 1098T FAQ.
  • Call ECSI toll free at 1-866-428-1098.  (Note that ECSI provides some student loan processing/reporting and payment plans for other colleges, but they do not provide these services for Barnard College.  Any reference to "borrower" on the ECSI site may be ignored by Barnard students.)

Other useful sources of information regarding tax credits:

ECSI has been engaged by Barnard to provide 1098-T service, and we do not have further information.  It is strongly recommended that you deal directly with ECSI, the IRS, or your tax advisor instead of contacting Barnard College.